Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Armored Warfare (aka World of Tanks II)

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Armored Warfare (aka World of Tanks II) Empty Armored Warfare (aka World of Tanks II)

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:43 am

is in open beta, and is fun. Tier I tanks are M113 AFV with 20mm cannon and the PT-76 that you may know from Fate of a Nation / Tour of Duty.

My handle is F4ANTOM, I know Lothlann and Ca$h play as well as Duane.
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Armored Warfare (aka World of Tanks II) Empty Re: Armored Warfare (aka World of Tanks II)

Post  Twinlinked Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:49 am

how does it compare to WoT?

good interface? is it Free to play?

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Armored Warfare (aka World of Tanks II) Empty Re: Armored Warfare (aka World of Tanks II)

Post  Diragi Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:56 am

AW and WoT are pretty comparable:

- maps are bigger but vehicles are faster and guns are more accurate.
- a PvE mode so it's a more reliable way to get your doubles
- more tank lines so a vehicles role is more clear
- crews are tied to a tank and the commander floats around
- more ammo types but none are clearly superior (well except for HEAT in low-level PVE)
- instead national tech trees you have a mercenary dealer system
- similar spotting systems between the two
- scouts can actually designate targets (+% damage) instead of the camp bush and pray method
- the difference between stock and elite tanks is a lot smaller but you will spend more of your time in non-elite tanks
- no mods in the interface but there's a lot of options (like damage dealt/taken logs)
- you need to unlock equipment (retrofits) and new commanders by playing through all of the tank lines
- free garage slots but no camo. prem vehicles are cheaper

I think WoT is still slightly more compelling (Individual Missions, etc) but... WG has slowly turned up the tap on monetization so that is distasteful. In AW everybody is playing every tank so it's a lot more interesting. The real decision point for me is in 2? months when the prem time + gold from the WOWS bundle runs out....
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:06 pm

i'm in a leopard 1 in AW i still 10000000000000000 exp away from a leopard 1 in WOT. They need more flags, there is only 10 country flags to put on tanks so far. You can drive over shrubs, trees, rocks without stopping dead, you can actually crawl up rocks. much better collision detection with the terrain.
lothlann
lothlann

http://dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Ok, so its is worth downloading and giving a go then?

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:58 pm

lothlann wrote:i'm in a leopard 1 in AW i still 10000000000000000 exp away from a leopard 1 in WOT. They need more flags, there is only 10 country flags to put on tanks so far.

Ah yes... another thing I forgot in my list -- the T9/10 tanks in WoT are T2/3 in AW so if you want to drive them then this game is better for that.

lothlann wrote:You can drive over shrubs, trees, rocks without stopping dead, you can actually crawl up rocks. much better collision detection with the terrain.

OTOH I've been unexpectedly stopped by terrain (like trucks) that should be destructible, several maps have major issues where the collision models don't match the visuals, and you don't actually feel like you are driving over different terrain.

Twinlinked wrote:Ok, so its is worth downloading and giving a go then?

A.

If you have the data cap to burn (26G) ... why not?
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:30 am

Well, after about a dozen matches tonight so far I'd say I like it from initial impressions. Definitely a different style of game with modern guns and stuff but since it's more or less a copy of World of Tanks it's pretty simple to get accustomed to.

Joyous_Oblivion

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:44 am

Yeah its fun.  Hate hate hate seeing the incoming missile icon.  Who knew bmp s were so dangerous
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:31 pm

FYI: if you log in between Nov 11 and Nov 22 you get a "free" T-62 Veteran -- functions like a regular T-62 (have to unlock everything / no prem status) but it's the only camo'ed tank in the game.
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Free is good  better when it comes woth a free slot.
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:03 pm

All slots are free in AW Razz
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:07 pm

Matt Varnish wrote:Free is good  better when it comes woth a free slot.

Yeah it's nice not having to sell any tanks Smile

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:56 am

I am registered now, had one match so far,

My name is "twinlinked"

First impression:

I don't like that he game won't play in windowed mode.. Very annoying

I like the more voices better, like how they say when you are loaded

Maps seem pretty in depth,

I don't like the garage interface as much as WoT

All in all seems pretty cool, and I got my free tank for logging in, but.. I am currently focusing on getting my Elefant in WoT,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:00 pm

I don't think I've had a default garage in WoT in a few years...how is the AW one worse?

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:08 pm

it is just less clean looking, there are too many buttons everywhere etc. in WoT the garage screen is very tidy by comparison,

All that said i can get used to that, the biggest issue for me is only that i can play it in windowed mode, so i can watch TV or anything while i am playing it,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:14 pm

I would say that the WoT UI is more streamlined and more 'militaristic' looking while AW gives off Tron vibes.

I like the upgrade curve much more in AW (minor improvements throughout the grind instead of a few major upgrades at the start) than WoT but the tech tree is certainly more complicated in terms of options (less newb friendly).

That being said there are some very nice quality of life improvements; commanders automatically being shuffled between tanks / not locking out any tanks if you quit to garage early.

Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Twinlinked wrote:it is just less clean looking, there are too many buttons everywhere etc. in WoT the garage screen is very tidy by comparison,

All that said i can get used to that, the biggest issue for me is only that i can play it in windowed mode, so i can watch TV or anything while i am playing it,

A.

I'll never understand how anyone can do other things while playing WoT, lol. Takes all my concentration just to play it. That said alt-tab still works well Smile

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:18 pm

Even alt-tabbing during the pre-battle countdown can hurt sometimes -- ie: ending up going to wrong way because everyone on the team is in a tank class other than mine, etc...
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:15 am

The only games I run alt tabbed used to be world of ships beta when running carriers.  Assign fighters for air defense.. go make a sandwich and good ole Eve mining.  Oh and briefly.. painting while queueing for pvp in swtor a few years back...
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
BTW: WoT is also giving away a free Toldi III but apparently it's crap
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:59 pm

free garage slot though.. Smile

whats the word on AW is it worth giving another shot?

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:03 pm

I love AW.. its WoT that I don't thin I will ever "Give another Shot" but then again I love World of Ships....
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:04 pm

what do you prefer between AW and WoT? is it just the modern aspect,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Tanks that actually existed.
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:29 pm

thats fair,

i'm not really sure why WoT didn't stick to tanks where there were at least prototypes..

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next