Black Powder: Failed Save

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Black Powder: Failed Save

Post  Matt Varnish on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:12 pm

So, driving home from Good Friday's games of FNF at Scott's, had to slam on my brakes. Ever wonder what seven battalions of infantry look like all smashed together?

Matt Varnish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Powder: Failed Save

Post  Diragi on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:24 pm

On the bright side think of all the new miniatures you get to paint ! /s

Hope they are in good shape.
Diragi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Coyote on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:05 pm

That's my nightmare. Is that just bases on drawer liner?

My current storage plan is neodymium magnets in every base. I get 100 for $5 shipped on ebay. Depending on the base they get glued right in. If the base is too deep I put superglue, greenstuff, superglue. Solid bases I either drill a hole or add the hole with I cut them.

Of course I'm missing the steel to line my storage boxes and am just using cookie tins for now.

Coyote

View user profile http://tyler.provick.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:10 am

yep now they are all fixed (few paintchips still but ill deal with that later) but yeah REALLY need to solve my transportation issue Smile
Matt Varnish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomRescue on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:38 am

Matt Varnish wrote:yep now they are all fixed (few paintchips still but ill deal with that later) but yeah REALLY need to solve my transportation issue Smile

Also known as being a cheap cu%& when you spend all that time tirelessly painting them. Having a TV tray isn't an issue for plastic Team Yankee, but ten pounds of lead and paint being stored in a rubber tub.....LOL

There's actually a really nice naps case company in the UK and also the foam trays that would fit in a standard Army Transport case would be perfect.

Don't know why you don't magnetize your bases if you're not going to get foam for them.
PhantomRescue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:03 am

PhantomRescue wrote:
Matt Varnish wrote:yep now they are all fixed (few paintchips still but ill deal with that later) but yeah REALLY need to solve my transportation issue Smile

Also known as being a cheap cu%& when you spend all that time tirelessly painting them. Having a TV tray isn't an issue for plastic Team Yankee, but ten pounds of lead and paint being stored in a rubber tub.....LOL

There's actually a really nice naps case company in the UK and also the foam trays that would fit in a standard Army Transport case would be perfect.

Don't know why you don't magnetize your bases if you're not going to get foam for them.

No foam tray will accommodate the giant flags on my command stands, otherwise I would have already done so.    I will now magnetize them, once i find a decent source of magnetized sheets.    The guy who had all the roman stuff on the 30 foot table at Cold Wars had his bases magnetized on the bottom and was moving them in red Craftsman tool chests..

"Also known as being a cheap cu%& when you spend all that time tirelessly painting them"
Also known as go eff yourself
Matt Varnish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Obsidian23 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:09 pm

The best place I have found for magnetised material are the people who do the signs for vehicles. I had one in Trenton and when I went in I managed to pick up a couple of old sheets that had been used. Got them for nothing. Easy to cut and glue to bases.
Like this stuff.

http://www.uscutter.com/Magnetic-Sign-Material?view_all

Obsidian23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Obsidian23 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Cheapest option I found

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-ROLLS-12-width-x-5-FEET-30-Mil-Blank-Magnetic-Sign-Sheet-Cars-Magnum-/172522069028?hash=item282b1ddc24
Obsidian23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RKelly on Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:27 pm

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.magnetic-vent-cover-white-4-inchx10-inch.1000175443.html

A local option.

RKelly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish on Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks will have to look into it next week
Matt Varnish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomRescue on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Matt Varnish wrote:

"Also known as being a cheap cu%& when you spend all that time tirelessly painting them"
Also known as go eff yourself

Plenty of pics in both 15/28mm using the deep pluck foam, stands right up inside using the deeper trays. So you should get some of those, unless of course you want to look like Tim The Toolman.
PhantomRescue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:38 am

Just measured my dragoon command stand.   between 3 and 4 inches tall thanks to the standard.  Infantry command stand is around 3 inches tall.  I'll have to do the math, but I think the magnetized bases gives me better protection for less since I lose space inside pluck foam trays (and I am an expert in foam trays thanks to my Soviet Team Yankee army) and I still need to keep the case pretty much vertical.   If I go with magnets, I can cram them base-to-base but can turn the box upside down and be fine.   I guess none of this would be an issue if I didnt have to transport my stuff around like I do, but if this works, I'll be able to do it for everything.  UNtil that time, one thing I have messed around with my existing transport cases.. there was space for the models to move when I hit the brakes.. I have re-organized my case so that there is no blank spaces for models to even shift around to.   THe MDF bases, if all touching and filling the case entirely, kinda 'police themselves' in that nothing moves because there is no space for them to shift, barring of course a huge bump or pothole that would cause them to rise up inside.

Anyways.. the repairs are done now, there are still a few paint chips here and there, but I plan on going over the bare bones paint jobs and highlight them anyways.
Matt Varnish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomRescue on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:55 am

So I'd come up with the dimensions you need to have your whole army on the tray. Like you said, once they're all together base to base, they shouldn't move.

As far as your necessity to transport them, you don't have to unless you actually want to play games. LOL
Custom wood tray with thin 1/32 metal insert would be perfect.
PhantomRescue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Obsidian23 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Hey Matt, did you get all your SAGA figures put together and based yet? If so did you want to try a game tonight or tomorow.
Obsidian23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomRescue on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 am

Not done, haven't gotten my order through the post yet.
PhantomRescue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Obsidian23 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:18 am

ok. Sad
Obsidian23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Obsidian23 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:42 am

Ok so here is the cheapest I have found. Thinking of investing in a roll of this.

http://www.emagnets.com/uncoated-magnetic-sheeting-10-rolls.html

I think its $49 US for the roll, still cheaper than anything I could find on Amazon, plus its not coated or painted, its just plain magnetic sheet. 2' x 10' roll. I can do 140 40mm x 40mm bases. That's all my British Naps, my Russians, leaving about a 2 x 2' left over.

Also if you buy more rolls the price drops. 2 -4 Rolls its on $42 a roll. 5+ rolls is $35 a roll. So let me know if there is any interest.

Cheers

Scott
Obsidian23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top