Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

moar gaming

+5
Twinlinked
Diragi
RKelly
PhantomRescue
CA$H
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

moar gaming Empty moar gaming

Post  Matt Varnish Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:25 pm

So as I mentioned a few weeks ago, WWPD shut down the doors, and left the forum running (presumably they get enough clicks on it for now to keep the forum up) but some of the guys who were keeping WWPD up in the past few years, such as Mitch Reed,  Tom Burgess, Sean Sarah, Tom Mullane decided to get a new site together and put a call out to some of the old WWPD writers.. so I have been working on that lately.    Here is the fruits of my labour

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There is also a podcast up with Matt M and myself in it, and Rob and I had a game of TY back in late 2017 that is also up on there.   Yes, its essentially trying to keep up where WWPD left off, but the nice thing is, it means I will be looking for more games of FLames, Team Yankee, and even Battlegroup, Bolt Action, and even some Napoleonics to do articles on.   The only stipulation is models be painted, so no silver and grey hordes.    So anyone who wants a game of anything, even if I just watch and record, write about, hit me up.   lol, someone has already asked where Tristan was from last years' Version 4 test games we did Smile

Andrew and Chris, the first BatRep of Italians goes live tomorrow at noon I think, the one we had between Christmas and New Years.

Alright im off to the airport now, will hopefully be on here and there on hospital wifi.... catch you guys when I get back

Last edited by Matt Varnish on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

moar gaming Empty Re: moar gaming

Post  CA$H Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Serious Question - should I be renewing our URL in Feb? I know I don't post, so I'm a major culprit here in it not being used a lot...but is there a point? If there is another site you want to do content for, no use splitting your efforts.
CA$H
CA$H

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:20 pm

how much is it?   I mean we really only did DD to get prize support as a Club back when we were the only Flames Tourney around Smile   I'd hate to see this forum go though... plus we DO have over 660 posts on Dice Devils...

It sucks because the group just doesn't seem as interested in Flames or TY anymore, and when I make posts on the blog no one here seems to even notice. So when I was given a chance to do some for the new WWPD replacement I figured I'd do that. As you can see, I posted up last week on a game where Andrew stole an 8-rad! which, I doubt anyone on here even noticed Smile
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

honestly its not the $$ - and the forum is independent of the main site.
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:52 pm

I personally check the site a few times a day, forums probably about 12, its just on my hotbar in chrome so i just click it when i open my browser to see if there is anything new.

I haven't posted anything for a long time either, I have been trying to convince myself to start painting again, i'd like to get gaming more as well. I'm just waiting for the soviet book for mid war. Now that the new books are out for TY I am looking at what I want to buy to expand my force.

I can start posting but really it would just be picks of my stuff as i paint it, which could easily be put in a forum post. Even videos say demos of how to paint ect could be put in a forum, the only thing is the blog page will get more hits then the forum which is harder if not impossible to find if you are just doing a google search.

The question is do you want to just start writing for other blogs because by letting them post your material we just lost it on our blog.
lothlann
lothlann

http://dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Matt Varnish wrote:how much is it?   I mean we really only did DD to get prize support as a Club back when we were the only Flames Tourney around Smile   I'd hate to see this forum go though... plus we DO have over 660 posts on Dice Devils...

It sucks because the group just doesn't seem as interested in Flames or TY anymore, and when I make posts on the blog no one here seems to even notice.  So when I was given a chance to do some for the new WWPD replacement I figured I'd do that.  As you can see, I posted up last week on a game where Andrew stole an 8-rad!  which, I doubt anyone on here even noticed Smile

ps. Why do you solo out interest in FOW and TY, DD started with 40k, we have never been a battlefront only supporter we have always been multi game.

I guess we just have to decide if we want to start doing a proper blog like the old days, even do some prep work. Pick a game we all want to play on a certain night, then make a write up about it.

Every FNF we do we could make a blog post about it, actually try to be a little bit more organized about it all. I think i'm going to do some painting tonight keep putting it off.
lothlann
lothlann

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm working on WH (Cygnar) - and did some posts about my Skorne last year...

Maybe Ill start logging my progress on that!!!...as Battlefront isn't doing much for me  - I need to pick up Stripes, but it's like 3-4th pick for a game to play if I have time these days. Don't get me wrong, I love my Texas national guard but from a rules perspective, Battlefront doesn't write good rules imho anymore.... and I have loads of other options for my tabletop game time....

I only asked the question as it seems we have 2-3 people contributing elsewhere (which is totally cool!) but splitting efforts is doomed to fail on one end...
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:22 pm

its going to fail simply because we aren't selling the brand, on the write up on other forums there is no mention of dice devils, on video we could put a semi transparent dice devil logo in a corner. People see the videos and such, they may know peoples names but they don't know they are part of dice devils.

I think it would be fun to take all the team yankee books, take a unit and compare them point per point, like artillery, or planes ect. or even just with in one book, things like are the missile upgrade worth it on a unit of t-64. Or warmachine take a warcaster and analyze it and the units that would compliment it and what units don't go with it ect. there is tons of topics we could do on the blog were just all busy and/or lazy.
lothlann
lothlann

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 am

lothlann wrote:

I think it would be fun to take all the team yankee books, take a unit and compare them point per point, like artillery, or planes ect. or even just with in one book, things like are the missile upgrade worth it on a unit of t-64. Or warmachine take a warcaster and analyze it and the units that would compliment it and what units don't go with it ect. there is tons of topics we could do on the blog were just all busy and/or lazy.

that would be interesting

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomRescue Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:21 am

Out of the last 100 articles, the contribution by anyone other than Dennis and myself is pretty bleak. I enjoy articles written about other games and frankly any content that is written by other people associated with us has been great. I don't count the re-posted articles as new content because some articles are just reposted ones from elsewhere.

90% of the articles written or participated in (filming, playing or otherwise) are either written by Dennis or myself. If we could just get 5 articles over the course of an entire year from 2-3 other people about things they are interested in playing or painting, it would be HUGE. It doesn't take a lot of time to pump something out, have decent pics, formatting and a spell check done.

Not sure why the flavor of Flames in general has pretty much dried up, I thought with the test games of the V4 ruleset went extremely well and this group is responsible for having a presence and well respected opinions in the gaming community. I think that's HUGE and I'm proud of what we were able to get out there as original content LONG before anyone else. V4 test games on YouTube with 6500+ combined views. For 2-3 videos, that's amazing and they are fun to play and fun to film. I have no problem contributing elsewhere (ie WWPD) and my primary focus has always been DD, in times when it is slow for other people, Den and I have always covered off so the site always had new content if the other couldn't post for whatever reason.

Tristan, if you have stuff getting painted and played, of course. Get it up there, some of the articles you write and the content you have has always gotten a lot of hits and the models you're turning out are great. I'm still a month away from having my gaming stuff unpacked as I have been working on finishing what will be the 'retro room', gaming/hobby space I am looking forward to finishing so I can get back to writing.
PhantomRescue
PhantomRescue

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 am

I don't think the interest inV4 has dried up,

I do think that or group has been a little all over the place.. which is ok by me,

I have still not had issues getting V4 MW games in,

I do think we need more V4 events, to get the interest up, bit that will come in time,

I don't like doing articles, but I am happy to participate in videos or posdcasts

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  RKelly Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:49 am

Matt (PhantomRescue) is right. I now have a real computer again, and pledge to do one article per month. I know that there are a lot of people around the world that follow our work, so we should keep it going.

RKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Sometheibg else; these other sites may come and go but DD can be around for as long as "we" are interested in writing articles and the blog is generic enough for all gaming systems.
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Alrighty then. So we continue onwards. Out of curiosity, and Tristan opened it up nicely.. what is everyone interested in doing in terms of PLAYING?

I currently play Flames, Team Yankee, Black powder and would like to do more of ancients (my romans) and English Civil Wars (dudes with funny hats) this year. Would be willing to try out some Bolt Action and Battlegroup.
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:50 pm

I would like to play FoW MW, TY, or 40k,

I am also up for trying other stuffs,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:25 pm

I have all the stat cards for battlegroup (british, ittalian, german, usa, russia ect.) as well as the PDF for kursk and D-day.

For V4 FOW i'm just waiting for my book to come out for mid war, late war has always been meh for me, it's when the lists become completely unbalanced.

As for games that I want to play right now: TY, FOW, Warmachine, SW:Armada are about it.

40k is fun to pull out once in a while, the new rules are much better then the old ones but it doesn't really hold my interest. I wouldn't mind getting some games in with battlegroup just to see how it plays.
lothlann
lothlann

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Ok, good to hear all around. Personally, I'm just actually painting and working on Warmachine currently. There is nothing for me to work on outside of that (hobby wise) that grabs me  (but anything can change!) Apart from the hobby, I also put time into Pathfinder, so those two eat up most of the time I have for that. I plan to keep going with WM - loads to paint and I love the models and rules. I plan to get back to OutoftheBox on Tuesdays too, as its a consistent group there now weekly for WM.

I will be ordering Stripes Tuesday, just so I can review it before purchasing any models for my yanks. Aside from that and some 40k here and there, I would love to play something more campaign based, with linked regular games. Something like Company of Iron, UnderCity or the new Gloomhaven legacy board game I bought, but I don't think this group has the interest for an ongoing game system like that.

The whole tournament scene holds zero interest to me anymore, so the idea of using them as drivers of what I play and army composition is a non starter. I prefer campaigns and narrative now - so that's my focus. Ergo, the TY army size is silly, and I'd rather play a game based on a good scenario than a specific "tournament approved" points limit.
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:35 pm

Well there are plenty of campaigns out there, i can always get the SW armada one, its made for multiple people to play in it. Battlegroup has campaigns in the rule book as well with narrative included.

lothlann
lothlann

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:36 am

The issue i have with campaign s is I find the teeter off after a few rounds, I think campaigns are cool I just don't know ow if they have the staying power,

The Pathfinder has been going really well I think it has been about 6 months now which is awesome,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomRescue Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Diragi wrote:Sometheibg else; these other sites may come and go but DD can be around for as long as "we" are interested in writing articles and the blog is generic enough for all gaming systems.

Thanks Duaner.
PhantomRescue
PhantomRescue

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomRescue Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:10 pm

CA$H wrote:Ok, good to hear all around. Personally, I'm just actually painting and working on Warmachine currently. There is nothing for me to work on outside of that (hobby wise) that grabs me  (but anything can change!) Apart from the hobby, I also put time into Pathfinder, so those two eat up most of the time I have for that. I plan to keep going with WM - loads to paint and I love the models and rules. I plan to get back to OutoftheBox on Tuesdays too, as its a consistent group there now weekly for WM.

Get those pictures of your stuff, if you have no time to write the fluff. Some simple stats or something interesting about your models or that particular list would be an awesome read.

CA$H wrote:I will be ordering Stripes Tuesday, just so I can review it before purchasing any models for my yanks. Aside from that and some 40k here and there, I would love to play something more campaign based, with linked regular games. Something like Company of Iron, UnderCity or the new Gloomhaven legacy board game I bought, but I don't think this group has the interest for an ongoing game system like that.

Yes, this would be another great thing to talk about. I'd like to hear about the changes between the books, as you are likely the only one that has a lot of US time on table and will know right away whether or not this is a big win for you and your lists!

CA$H wrote:The whole tournament scene holds zero interest to me anymore, so the idea of using them as drivers of what I play and army composition is a non starter. I prefer campaigns and narrative now - so that's my focus. Ergo, the TY army size is silly, and I'd rather play a game based on a good scenario than a specific "tournament approved" points limit.

All driven by whatever you want from gaming a whole. I don't mind either scenario.
PhantomRescue
PhantomRescue

Back to top Go down

Post  RKelly Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:47 pm

I like TY, FOW, Black Powder snd the odd 40k game. I'd like to try some TY scenarios.

RKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Well the reason I ask is this: I chat with these guys from the UK on the google hangout paint and chat. (when I can, they go to bed about an hour after i get home from work, I want t otstart a NA timezone one) anyways, those guys run an old fashioned british wargaming club in some small shite town near Newcastle lol. what those guys do is, they kinda decide as a group what the prevailing interest is, and plan out a big club game in a few months' time. This allows those who are interested in the game system to paint stuff up for the big game, but the beauty of it is, not EVERYONE needs to buy, usually its 2 or 3 guys, and they play with most club guys together, where the forces belong to two or three guys. Then once that bbig game is done, they plan the next one, and typically, the guys who didnt buy into the last system bring out their favorite system. and so it goes. so just recently, they had their big Team Yankee 6mm super battle, 2 months ago it was a huge-ass game of American Civil War, and 2 months before that is was a big Colonials game (but at a local convention)

We could adopt a similar strategy.. I doubt we will hit the sweet spot that we did in the past, where everyone is into Flames at the same time, or before that, when we played 40k and WFB all together (the golden years of teh Hole and Ratthaus) but it means that lets say we have 2 or 3 guys into Warmahordes.. and I dont feel like painting my own force, I could pitch in and borrow a force for a day of gaming. Or when we do a big Napoleonics game, ppl just show up, we have a good time, drink a few pops, have a BBQ (so obviously this is at Scott's, etc, not my condo lol)

I don;t care what actual game we play. I just want the great group we have to not split up to the 4 winds. Obv with careers and kids we cant play as often as we once did, but still. We should be able to pull this off this year Smile Right now, since I have access to Italian book, anyone who wants a game, let me know (once I get back into town) Rest Assured, Chris, I will get the Russians, and I expect you to be in plenty of videos to test them out Smile But apart from that, with a bit of forethought, we should be able to play some games and get some non-wife time in, that we know we all need. FNF used to be very structured, and the biweekly Pathfinder has been awesome for this too, but since we lost 2 hosts (Matty and Scott) we should plan a bit further out than Thursday morning post "any FNF tomorrow?"

Looking forward to some gaming. Duaner. You need those Samurai buddy. Chop Chop
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Ya, I thought we might be turning a corner with the kids but the last 5-6 weeks have been doozies (two rounds of stomach bugs). Very tiring for everyone and taxing in the support systems that might have hung out on Fridays so that i can head out for a bit.

I like the idea of focused dates for the more casual folks (like we could say x Friday of the month) to be more coordinated. Though a big caveat for me is location, ie Brett's is great because if the wife 911s me I can get home pretty fast.

For gaming I would say TY (though TY list I apparently is the OP/nerfbait horde), some sort of skirmish game, or I maybe black powder with Samurai.

Ps: Den+ I guess of FnF is a bust but people still want to hang we could always chill n my basement hobbying / watchi g sporting competitions
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:31 pm

I dont think FNF is a bust, its jsut been lax a bit lately
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content