Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Games Workshop is killing Warhammer Fantasy Battle

5 posters

Go down

Games Workshop is killing Warhammer Fantasy Battle Empty Games Workshop is killing Warhammer Fantasy Battle

Post  CA$H Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:31 am

The problem is that the company is run by people just smart enough to keep the doors open but way too stupid to actually fix the mess. So we wait, like vultures, for the inevitable death rattle in ten or fifteen years when the weight of the whole thing makes it come crashing down.

And that’s how we got here, with Warhammer’s fictional implosion driven purely by internal profit reports. It’s not a great world in the way that we think of Middle-earth or Elric’s alternate Earth. But it was, in the gaming space, a consistent world.

Source:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
CA$H
CA$H

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Games Workshop is killing Warhammer Fantasy Battle Empty Re: Games Workshop is killing Warhammer Fantasy Battle

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:42 am

Fantasy has been dying a long slow death forever. Whereas 40k has been growing and growing. They are just focusing on what makes them money.

While I like fantasy, and it sucks for it to change or go away, it really is just business. No one in our group really played anymore and there was zero interest (aside from Dennis) to play when I tried to generate interest.

I think that our group is indicative of people's thoughts in general of fantasy. It was fun in its day but it's time is over. Gamers decided this and GW just went with it.

Besides, Mantic announced they would be adding non-canon army lists to their game so all fantasy players can still play with their armies under the Kings of War ruleset now! Square-basers rejoice!

Joyous_Oblivion

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Games Workshop is killing Warhammer Fantasy Battle Empty Re: Games Workshop is killing Warhammer Fantasy Battle

Post  Diragi Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:52 am

From just a whiteboard perspective mapping the WHFB background onto a LOTR miniature look/feel is great. The new game will probably be great. But only in isolation if you ignore the 'investment' people have made into the existing miniature range.

As soon as they make people rebuy into a whole new range then they totally open the discussion to just moving to other products (or just getting all of the current books and use 3rd parties for minis). They are totally throwing away one of the bigger advantages they have -- being the incumbent.

Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:55 am

Joyous_Oblivion wrote:No one in our group really played anymore and there was zero interest (aside from Dennis) to play when I tried to generate interest.

I think that our group is indicative of people's thoughts in general of fantasy. It was fun in its day but it's time is over. Gamers decided this and GW just went with it.

Well I had Chaos -- oops it's three separate armies now -- and Brets -- oops let's ditch the skilled men-at-arms and go with over-the-top knights + inbred pesants.

So I should have two armies but really I have 4 1/3 armies.
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_A Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:34 pm

I dunno about killing the game, that's just all rumors. Personally I thought some of the end times stuff was pretty neat I just didn't buy any of if.

I also quit fantasy, but it wasn't really anything they did wrong, other then maybe pricing, I just got tired of it I guess. Can only play the same game for so long. But I have been watching a few fantasy battle repots on the miniwargaming site and it actually seems like it's still a pretty cool game, some changes from when I played but nothing huge. It seems that you need to be playing with like minded people more then ever thou.

I really like the lord of the rings game, and skirmish games in general so if they do something new that way sounds cool to me. Sucks for people with old armies, but I just jammed mine in the garbage so I was never that attached to them I guess.

The same kind of thing is going on with Flames of War now it seems, with people starting to get tired of it and more time is spent complaining than playing, or so it seems.

Thanks;
Mike

Mike_A

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:37 pm

Well D, a quick coat of chaos black and you can hqv chaos peasants lol. I like my dwarf models and will one day paint them.. but I need a good game to play them under anyone still have fifth or sixth ed rulebooks kicking aruond? I mean.. I remember going to the GT and being asked " you playing checkers or chess?" with 40k beint checkers lol
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down