Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oww my wallet:

+2
Diragi
Matt Varnish
6 posters

Go down

Oww my wallet: Empty Oww my wallet:

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:15 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Soviet BMP's. I will buy all the things........
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Oww my wallet: Empty Re: Oww my wallet:

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:06 am

And now aircraft:

So wait, I can play DCS World and fly the SU-25 and A-10, and then paint them for Team Yankee? Yes Pls!
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:57 am

Interestingly the US just sent a dozen A-10 back to the Ukraine. Much conflicted about this... would prefer Germans/Canadians for the Leopard but that stupid sexy warthog
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:50 am

The US always sends them.   THere is an interesting fight going on.. the USAF top brass and politicians wants the Air Force out of the "helping ground troops" game.   Unfortunately, every single ground trooper wants the A-10 to be what gets called in.   The current replacement, the F-35 Marine Variant, can only carry the small diameter bomb internally (not even ready) so 1/4th the weapons for the CAS role.  Of course, the Army wants its own fleet of fixed wing aircraft, but the USAF mandate was that they get all fixed wing aircraft, the army can only use Helos.   Hence why after 4 times of trying to retire the A-10s, they keep getting upgraded and back into service, much to the chagrin of USAF brass.

Duane, run the French.. you alrdy have the AMX's...
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:28 am

Also while new generation of jets have Gatling guns they also only have 16% of the ammo capacity. And the A-10 has the armour to get close to do visual FoF checks.

Also apparently while the A-10 is, even with their ancient airframes, significantly cheaper to run than the alternatives but... if it's out of the way it becomes a lot harder to cut funding to the F-22.

Seems like the F-22 is better suited to the war they want to fight (air superiority over -- say the Chinese) but the anti-insurgent or tank hoard killing.
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:39 am

Matt Varnish wrote:Duane, run the French..

You and your love of the bagette
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:43 am

Another game with only 2 "real" factions.....I fear games and lists will be very "samey" for the first year or two....

We'll see
CA$H
CA$H

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:46 am

The F22 is the undisputed king of air, and its super quiet (IE news abotu it) too. Its an F-15 on 'roids, and stealthy when it has to be. USA will not export the F-22. THe F-35 is the replacement for the F-16 / F18 / AV-8B and whatever else. There are reports of "Oh the F-16 kicked its ass in a dogfight" which is true but.. the pilot wasnt allowed to really throw the F-35 around, and the flight laws on the computers were dialled back, and finally, the F-35 is designed to have already shot down its enemies without being seen, not win dogfights.
Whether that is the right approach, who knows. My cousin was one of the cdn leads on the F-35 project for a few years until being given his old sqdn back.. and he says once the tech catches up (IE the new helmets that the missile seeker heads are slaved to.. so if you look behind you and see a fighter, you can target select then launch an AIM-9 at it.. and the missile will pull a 180 to do so for example) it will be very good.

The only thing they were worried about is the upgraded MiG-31BM, in that it can go mach 3+, and fire its missiles from so far away that it can remain untouched.. and the new russian/indian missiles are pretty advanced.. and the SU-30MK / SU-35 variants carrying that same missile.. would give it a run for the money if they got close.

Anyways.. plane nerd talk inactivated...
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:02 am

So they are going w/ Ospreys and missiles > dogfighting.

Will we be repeating the mistakes of Vietnam or has warfare really changed.

Last edited by Diragi on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:32 am

My concern with the F35 is straight forward,

If Canada is going to continue with the a single fighter strategy then we should be focusing on an aircraft that can do
every thing we need it to do. Not just some of those things very well and others poorly.

No w if we went to a two fighter solution that is a different story.. get a handful of F35s and a bunch of euro fighters for a fraction of the price Smile

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:46 am

Except that currently Canada only ever deploys as part of a coalition of forces. So being superior at one role is a good idea.
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:25 pm

Except that we are responsible for our own national and especially arctic sovereignty,

Relying on the US may be part of our national defense strategy, but that doesn't make it a good idea..

the F35 may or may not be the best choice from a deployment perspective, we just have to remember that there are other reasons we have a military then just for international deployments..

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:24 pm

helmet:  http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htecm/articles/20150817.aspx

historically, Canada has need only one 'job' since Europe for the air force fighter, and that is interception of russian/chinese bombers on our borders. The fact that we could use them on deployments is gravy. IN Europe, that extra job was low level tactical nuke delivery with the 104.. but we gave all the warheads back to the US in 1984 when we stopped using the 104 and the 101.

The F-35 can still do the intercept role, and with external pylons, can still do CAS or light bombing if we need it to.. but we usually rely on other countries for that on deployments, as we can usually only send 6 fighters overseas at a time. Right now is an exception, with 6 in Poland and 6 'near' Syria.. which is why they reactivated a 4th sqdn and pulled some F-18s out of storage in Winnipeg to do so.
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:33 pm

the question is do we need the f35 to fulfill this rle or could a super hornet do the job..

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:37 pm

CA$H wrote:Another game with only 2 "real" factions.....I fear games and lists will be very "samey" for the first year or two....

We'll see

This is my fear as well. Unless this modern flames of war thing is expanded heavily I bet it will be another flash in the pan like Vietnam and Arab/Israeli war.

I still have my horde of AMXs so if and when this game goes strong I'll be able to try it out but not dropping any cash until I see more than US/Soviet.

Joyous_Oblivion

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:43 pm

is there intent that it be a FoW but if it was WW3?

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:24 pm

Joyous_Oblivion wrote:
CA$H wrote:Another game with only 2 "real" factions.....I fear games and lists will be very "samey" for the first year or two....

We'll see

This is my fear as well. Unless this modern flames of war thing is expanded heavily I bet it will be another flash in the pan like Vietnam and Arab/Israeli war.

I still have my horde of AMXs so if and when this game goes strong I'll be able to try it out but not dropping any cash until I see more than US/Soviet.

I don't think you guys are giving Vietnam and AIW enough variety... yes there aren't a ton of nations but there is a ton of selection within the nations. And Vietnam has a completely different playstyle than FoW with air cav and insurgents, riverboats etc, etc, etc.

Twinlinked wrote:is there intent that it be a FoW but if it was WW3?

A.

It's supposedly a new ruleset.
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Vietnam used the same ruleset though right? Just with new special rules etc?

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:50 pm

Correct.
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Cool, well will be interesting to see what they do with the new rule set,

Hopefully u can dodge missiles..

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:43 pm

We'll see.... if they do it right.. there are a lot of factions they can do. Hooe it isn't great war / bommas over sulfur river longevity.. but I mean.. fow started off with just a few factions too when it was only mid war..
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:22 pm

Rockets on trucks? Sure. GIANT SP artillery, DOuble Sure!

Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  RKelly Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:35 pm

I want those M109s.

RKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Totally not surprised at that.
Diragi