Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petawawa Tournament

+4
Twinlinked
Glitch
CA$H
PhantomRescue
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Petawawa Tournament - Page 2 Empty Re: Petawawa Tournament

Post  PhantomRescue Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:51 pm

lothlann wrote:instead you need 3 cases and 3 internet lists, it doesn't fix anything in that regard just means you need to pack more minis and risk someone walking out with one of your cases, unless you make the 3 lists the same.

This description doesn't fit, you only need to swap out a few things. Hell, even throwing in one extra Panther or going from CT to CV will be enough. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt before I complain about it. At the end of the day, it's not something we control.
PhantomRescue
PhantomRescue

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:31 pm

Eh, I'd like to see what governs it first. Travelling with 3 armies sounds like a terrible thing to ask for though... I thought it was specially 3 points levels of the same briefing, not faction, but faction makes more sense. I don't know... Let's see it and then drop some judgement on it after =P.
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:33 pm

Agreed,

I look forward to seeing the rules
Maybe it will just 1400-1500-1600 all from the same briefing, if so it won't be that bad, though at some pont I 6 games someone will end up playing 1500 against 1600 point by accident..

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:54 pm

1500pts, 1700pts, and 1900pts I feel would be the best combination, if it's based on briefing. Army... Eh... I'm not really a fan of carrying three armies to a tournament (or painting them, since I paint in the last two days before a tournament...)
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:47 pm

PhantomRescue wrote:
lothlann wrote:instead you need 3 cases and 3 internet lists, it doesn't fix anything in that regard just means you need to pack more minis and risk someone walking out with one of your cases, unless you make the 3 lists the same.

This description doesn't fit, you only need to swap out a few things. Hell, even throwing in one extra Panther or going from CT to CV will be enough. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt before I complain about it. At the end of the day, it's not something we control.

It depends on what the rules state for the different armies, if you can use 3 different lists from the same nation then you know people will make desperate measures list for their low points, and maybe something from a different book for high pts.

I know for low points i would run infantry list and high points i would run a tank list. Infantry has much more flexibility at low points then a armour list but at high points infantry lists sometimes don't have enough tank options to be viable.

So yes, 3 different lists could in fact be multiple cases, like a 3 russian lists, and you can't tell me that people wouldn't look up internet list for each point value.

If it says that it has to be the same army type, ie if you take 2nd SS panzer company and all 3 points lists are from that list then it would be the same, its not simply adding a new unit for an extra 100 pts, simply because there are no units that are valued at 100 pts. The points difference for each list would have to be quite large to incorporate a new unit or one would have to rework their lists for each points value ending up making 3 different list.

It is an interesting concept I'll give it that, stolen right from warmahordes. It all depends on what the rules will be.
lothlann
lothlann

http://dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:29 am

I'm not trying to shit on the idea, im just posting my thoughts on it, I like the concept but depending on the points values it be more difficult for some armies to change their list with easy.

I'm assuming the army will be static or ppl will just take usa for low points and german for high points. The points value would have to be quite dramatic in difference for the armies to be different, adding a unit of AA to make your 1400 point list into a 1600 point list you may as well just play 1400 pts. The points spread would have to be something like 1232, 1575, 1856 to make the lists actually different. Less then 200 pts is just a support unit or maybe 1 extra tank to a list which isnt worth doing imo. so it has to be 250-300 points in difference per tier to make it interesting.
lothlann
lothlann

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerkommanduer Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:24 am

Guys, I'll talk to Louis about this tonight if he's at the shop.

He's usually pretty vague with this stuff, but not on purpose.

Id be willing to bet that its 3 versions of the same army list. The majority of our players travel from the States to play, we cant expect them to bring 3 full armies with them that'd be absurd.

Panzerkommanduer

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:56 am

I guess my question is why?

I mean 6 games I'm two days is fun, I don't know why we need to vary the list size each game.. the model we have works, why would we change it..

If the answer is "cause Louis is the TO and he wants to" that's a good enough reason, but I'm just not sure what the intent is, it seems to me like this is more likely to turn people off, then to encourage more people to register.

I am not apposed to the idea, just wondering what the rational is,

There have been all tank tourneys, and book specific tourneys, but I think all of those have a slightly lower turnout. Since we will already have a new ruleset (V4) do we need to add a variable like multiple point levels?

Anyhow, waiting to see what the actual rules/tourney pack looks like,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerkommanduer Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Ya, I haven't been around the shop or Flames regularly for months, so I cant give you an honest answer, but I think your train of thought is probably right.

Some big tournament in the states did it and I think another one even did it with all 3 time periods, So he took the idea and ran with it, I think?

Ill clarify tonight and see If i cant get him to send out a mass email sooner rather then later.

Panzerkommanduer

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:16 pm

no rush, id rather them figure it out maybe make some tests lists to get the 3 points groups right first, i'd like to go to this one i havent been to a fow tourny for a while and i should be around this year, also he should try to book sooner then later because its canada's 150th and if its a long weekend again its going to be crazy downtown.
lothlann
lothlann

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerkommanduer Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:21 pm

We're already booked, we have a 5 year contract. The thing is for the PLAYERS to book early, we have the space but not the rooms, they'll fill up fast

Panzerkommanduer

Back to top Go down

Post  RKelly Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:48 pm

lothlann wrote:no rush, id rather them figure it out maybe make some tests lists to get the 3 points groups right first, i'd like to go to this one i havent been to a fow tourny for a while and i should be around this year, also he should try to book sooner then later because its canada's 150th and if its a long weekend again its going to be crazy downtown.

It would be great to see you playing again.

RKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerkommanduer Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:24 am

Talked to Louis last night.

1-list(Ex-Brit paras from Market Garden) 3 point levels, TBC.

Louis examples were 1520, 1650, 1800. not sure if thats what he's going with or just smoke.

Panzerkommanduer

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:35 am

Cool, thanks for the update

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:45 am

Whats the motive to go with 3 points levels? Is it simply to "spice things up"? Does the game need that at this point?

CA$H
CA$H

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:05 pm

not sure because it wont stop internet lists, I just see it as my army at 1520 pts, then same army with something useless to make it 1650 (really what could you add to in 150 pts, an extra tank, ooooo). then a revamped list for 1800 with panthers instead of panzer IVs for example.

not saying that will be the point values just that 150 point changes is just a waste of my time having to make 3 lists. If it was 300 pt differences that would make it interesting.
lothlann
lothlann

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomRescue Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:08 am

I don't know what an internet list is? If you mean just copying what other people are doing, I don't see a lot of that going on. Having played multiple tournaments in the US and here over the past two years it's not the same person winning every event.

I think it'll be fine, it's just going to take a while to get the details. I'd be more than ok with 1500 and just get on with it. They're looking to change the way the tables look again as well, hauling the table tops is a pain, but I'm dreading what the new ones look like.
PhantomRescue
PhantomRescue

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:09 pm

Internet list is what the power gamers play.. much like net decking in magic. 2nd dbag inplayed at fall in had one. Remer with marders 2 inf platoons with attached pak38s brummbars.. that sort of thing. 3 ppl.were running same list. Thank phil messier )) my bigger concern is are we playing version 4 or not.. bcs if so then it means we gotta use the new points values. I think 10 months out a lot can change.. i dont mind the idea of a base list with addons to make the 2 higher points lvls. This needs to be TESTED otherwise itll be broken and folks wont want to play. We all know what happens when you try and do special rules in torunaments... it never works.
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2