Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Luck @ Nats!

+8
Matt Varnish
lothlann
Diragi
Joyous_Oblivion
RKelly
Thunderst
Twinlinked
CA$H
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Good Luck @ Nats! - Page 2 Empty Re: Good Luck @ Nats!

Post  Twinlinked Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:08 pm

Apparently the venue was pretty well priced,
Plus the rooms for out of town guests were discounted

Pretty sweet deal overall plus free parking for us locals at world exchange, and of course Dennis can just wander on over from his place.. Smile

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomRescue Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 pm

lothlann wrote:I just wish more people would fail there armour/infantry saves when i shoot them.

Sorry Chris. (Sucks we had to play against each other and then Louie/Brad after that)

6-1 w
4-3 w
2-5 l
1-6 l
6-1 w
3-4 l

I had a great time, not surprised...Den is ALL FOR downtown...sneaks away when he wants Rolling Eyes
Can't wait to see what weekend it is next time, while it was 'ok'. I think they could have easily hit 50+ on a different weekend, Kurt came up from the US as well and I am sure he could get others to come up. You can't expect US players to come up though when they have tournaments the same weekend a lot closer to them (Nova Open)

As long as there is a month before/after Historicon, I expect the best time frame could be May-June. Or simply change the format to the way it was this year. Drop the ridiculous advance notice cutoff, do a little more on the free marketing side and follow up an email to all of this years participants to bring a buddy for next year! Even if you got one extra person for every 4 players, that would be over 50 total. Just our group alone, we could (should) have had at least Marty, Brett, Duane(long shot I know), more guys from OMG.

I'm just happy Louis isn't broke and Dave wants to come back, the dude came up here on a long weekend and put up with a lot of bullshit at the border. Hopefully, if the venue doesn't change, maybe the Marriott gives a better $$ deal for next year. While hotel discounts are nice, they are still twice what I paid for Historicon. There might be a happy medium in there somewhere for venue and hotel locations. This event was more plus than minus and I'm sure the 'real' Canadian Nationals is here to stay, never mind the 'Eastern' part.
PhantomRescue
PhantomRescue

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_A Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 am

I had fun at this as well, although 2 days is a bit long if I am honest, first time doing that. I didn't do very well (4 losses and 2 wins), but that was not unexpected really, I took an assault gun company to a tournament once before and had a similar result. But I find them to be fun sometimes.

The only game I didn't really enjoy was when I was forced to defend in that mission where you only get 1 platoon with vehicles due to the night attack thing. It's pretty lame when a tank company can only deploy 1 platoon with vehicles.

Personally I thought the venue was great, I hated having to take the bus all the way out to the sports plex for instance.

Also I think the idea of offering a small prize for the best table supplied is a great one.

Thanks;
Mike

Mike_A

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:49 am

GLad you and Serge came in from OMG.. nice to get represntation from everyone around.. it was good times. I think the biggest letdown (if I can even use that word) is that 6 games using some of the really BAD missions that have no business being in tournaments.. and thats more due to the rulebook from BF than anything we had any control over. I mean, I'm all for "Always Attack" with some lists but attacking tank companies in a defensive battle with mech? That sucks big time!

So whats next? Game Summit. In the vein of switching gears to paint, I am calling it right now, I am bringing my Vandoos to LW tournament in Petawawa... but what do I take to Gamesummit? Its in a month!!!!
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_A Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:28 am

I enjoyed playing some of the more unusual missions, I don't think I ever even played surrounded before. But granted they might not be the most balanced thing for a tournament.

I'm not 100% on the Gamesummit tournament, I might go but I might not, won't be painting anything new for it that is for sure. But I have at least one army that I have never played a game with so it's not like I need more stuff.

Thanks;
Mike

Mike_A

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:54 am

Well, we can't play em all right? Smile

Debating painting up 2 units of guns (which I hate painting) to expand my FF forces from the Italy book.. I can probably get that done in a month Smile
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:28 am

155s?

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:43 am

shudder, broken, blah blah blah
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:46 am

yup, 155's Smile No naval guns though, the french navy had already surrendered to the British who sank their fleet, to prevent the krauts from getting their hands on it Smile But my gunners are naval gunners though Wink
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 am

Awesome Smile

what national special rules do they use? do they get time on target?

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:00 pm

YAY, another artillery based list..............

Can't wait...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:p
CA$H
CA$H

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:10 pm

CA$H wrote:YAY, another artillery based list..............

155s Neutral

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_A Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:30 pm

Man they are always whining about something being to good on WWPD forum ever since it's creation, I don't really think it has any meaning at this point. BAR, Wood Elves, US Tank Destroyers, Naval Gunfire, All Artillery, those guys just wear me down sometimes. I don't think I lost a single stand to artillery all weekend, which is saying something as I did loose a allot of stands hah. I only played 2 armies that really hard artillery, and my plane got rid of 1 on the second turn.

Now granted playing against that 1 army with 16 guns or whatever would have been a chore I admit.

Thanks;
Mike

Mike_A

Back to top Go down

Post  RKelly Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:32 pm

CA$H wrote:YAY, another artillery based list..............
A

I agree. On the weekend there were a few artillery lists. And as I mentioned, ibrought a tank list and faced an average of two tanks per game. Sitzkrieg lives.

RKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:09 pm

Mike_A wrote:Man they are always whining about something being to good on WWPD forum ever since it's creation...

I think the tl;dr of that thread is that in many of the late-late-war lists you can take 155s without 105s (extra strength and FP), and there's too much synergy with ToT and AoPs. Oh and a monstrous direct fire mode if you ever get close.

I dunno. Template weapons are absolutely necessary to force people to keep their units spread apart. But arty, like any glass canon unit, are easy to be flagged as OP/UP.
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:23 pm

I had 155 SPs and 105 SPs on the weekend,

They did OK, killed to king tigers.. but honestly im sure there are stronger lsts i coudl have built without them,

i think planes with bombs would have been better, and they rang in automatically in the open..

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:55 pm

My arty list is still in boxes and blisters but I'll build it one day, just because visually it looks awesome. If it's too good, it will become tourney only. Maybe 4th edition will change arty a bit, whenever it comes. I do find though that whatever latest hotness kicks ass for awhile is usurped by something newer and deadlier in short order.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:00 pm

Artillery is too unreliable to be "too good"

faling to range in is easy, and failing ot hit even when you range in is too easy aswell,

I expect that most peopel who say it is "too good" have not played with an arty heavy list much..

that being said can open the earlier link from work so i dunno what its about,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:04 pm

FYI, I have to buy a unit of 105s before taking 155s, so everyone can shut it Wink
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_A Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:18 pm

My take away from that thread wasn't that artillery is to powerful if you just take 15cm artillery and that's it, it was the specific case of where you have 2-3 platoons of US artillery + an AOP, that are able to all fire together into a super bombardment that has the big square template, many range in attempts, still has low fire power, and still has time on target is to good. I never played against that before so decided it wasn't a big deal.

Any case of just take 1 platoon of artillery I think is fine, and the rules for that haven't really changed since 2nd edition. I don't really have an opinion on sitzkreig, but certain lists could be annoying. But I do support giving Dennis shit for his army choices!

Thanks;
Mike

Mike_A

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:02 pm

Mike_A wrote:But I do support giving Dennis shit for his army choices!

Agreed, and the painting is sub standard.. some of his tanks werent even based.. Smile

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Mike, after Histo, I now can do the full US arty parking lot. I want to try some games with it just to see if it's even all that bad.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:27 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

fyp
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:38 am

Thanks .. yeah for some reason a guy REALLY wanted a pic of the Sitzkrieg shirt from HIstoricon....
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next