Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uh Oh, better break out the old Red Dawn tape...

+4
Big_Willie
Joyous_Oblivion
nramsay
Matt Varnish
8 posters

Go down

Uh Oh, better break out the old Red Dawn tape... Empty Uh Oh, better break out the old Red Dawn tape...

Post  Matt Varnish Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Like an idiot, who has mountains of stuff to paint, just got the rules for Force on Force Modern Warfare and the 1986 Cold War Gone Hot book. I will be doing (eventually) some Soviet bloc force.. though the rules allow for pretty much any time period to be done, I'll go generic 'bad guys' The rules allow for 15mm so we will keep that, as it means our FoW terrain works perfectly. I'm sure I can add a few modern buildings, like a gas station or something, but for the most part, it will be battles in Western Europe.

I'll chime in tonite once I give the rules a once-over.
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Uh Oh, better break out the old Red Dawn tape... Empty Re: Uh Oh, better break out the old Red Dawn tape...

Post  Matt Varnish Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:37 am

Oh snap, order is already in the mail!!!! SHould get my mitts on this stuff in about a week.
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Uh Oh, better break out the old Red Dawn tape... Empty Re: Uh Oh, better break out the old Red Dawn tape...

Post  nramsay Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:38 pm

woah, wait a second, are you saying we could recreate the movie Red Dawn!? Wink

nramsay

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:02 pm

nramsay wrote:woah, wait a second, are you saying we could recreate the movie Red Dawn!? Wink

Sure is Smile

Better even, we could (loosely) recreate Command & Conquer: Red Alert Wink

I may yet fall to this modern warfare thing, lol. Ill get my fix with expanded Vietnam in April Very Happy

Joyous_Oblivion

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Willie Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:04 am

So I played force on force yesterday with a couple friends in Kingston. I has very fluid mechanics that should allow for fast games. We played irregulars vs regulars (marines vs insurgents) and the insurgents are hard to play. It reminded my of a modern Space hulk like game, has some serious potential but needs some refining.

Big_Willie

Back to top Go down

Post  nramsay Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Big_Willie wrote:So I played force on force yesterday with a couple friends in Kingston. I has very fluid mechanics that should allow for fast games. We played irregulars vs regulars (marines vs insurgents) and the insurgents are hard to play. It reminded my of a modern Space hulk like game, has some serious potential but needs some refining.

I don't know anything about this game, can you do anything more then marines vs insurgents? are there any crazy factions?

nramsay

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:46 am

Its a ruleset only. You can do whatever you want. There is a set of user-made scenarios that are a lot more like Flames of War style scenarios with balanced forces, and the examples used are WW2 and modern. One thing that I have read that most Inusrgent players never use initially is the Out of Area movement.. if you have no LOS to enemies, you can redploy anywhere on teh board where there also is no LOS to the enemy. So the key tactic is overwhelm the regulars with 3 or 4 units, and while the Reg's will probably win the first ROund of Fire, they won;t the 3rd and fourth ones, and run out of firepower dice. Once they are dealt with, the last unit charges in if there are a lot of casualties and get a tonne of POWs, which typically are wort a lot more VPs to the Irreg's than to Reg's, then blend back into the scenery to pick on another unit.

My army MAY be in town, so if I can I'll pick it up tonite and start building stuff. on a totally related/unrelated topic, BF has put up a new Vietnam primer with a bunch of new codes, one of which is Centurions (ANZAC in Nam) but also plastic M113s! I hope to get my whole force painted and get some test games vs Marty's Nam USMC's before the release date. I might have to paint the ZSU-23's first for shooting down Marty's Choppers!
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:16 am

Matt Varnish wrote:on a totally related/unrelated topic, BF has put up a new Vietnam primer with a bunch of new codes, one of which is Centurions (ANZAC in Nam) but also plastic M113s! I hope to get my whole force painted and get some test games vs Marty's Nam USMC's before the release date. I might have to paint the ZSU-23's first for shooting down Marty's Choppers!

Ah so the rumoured summer release will indeed be a revisit of Vietnam rather than something later.. now a minor dilemma -- pick up Cromwells for LW FoW or hold off for Centurions (similar tank looks but obv Brits vs Aussies).
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:40 am

Its for April-May not summer, the Nam stuff. Full vehicle list for the NVA, so its not just guys vs choppers like the Tropic Lightning book.

I would save for Centurions, and now I think I'll base my guys 3 to a stand, rather than loose for Force on Force (though you can play FoF either way, its LOS to 50% or more of the whole squad) since now we know a release date for the Nam stuff. We'll just use modifed Nam rules to initially get started in Moderns once it lands.
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:45 am

I'd get the Cromwells, you will get more play out of them in the long run.......
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:52 am

ya but he can borrow yours AND get Centurions Smile
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Who am I kidding... I'll probably get both.
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:17 am

Teaser post up on the DD site.. one BTR-80 assembled. Did not realize the Mi 24 is as long as a B-17!!
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  nramsay Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:58 am

Great video,the soviets look pretty sweet. Can you send me the link of where you got them. I may check out what nationalities are available.

nramsay

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunderst Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:03 pm

must resist pull of modern combat

Thunderst

Back to top Go down

Post  gahris Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:12 pm

Looks interesting. Maybe try a French Foreign Legion Very Happy

gahris

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Hmmm...never knew the French used these so long...

Could i ever play France?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

*shudder*

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down