Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Hobby Show This Sunday

3 posters

Go down

Military Hobby Show This Sunday Empty Military Hobby Show This Sunday

Post  RKelly Tue May 28, 2019 11:18 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looks promising. I'm hoping to finally attend this year. The organizer has been selling off a vast collection of Roco and Roskopf models. Maybe there will be some hidden gems.

RKelly

Back to top Go down

Military Hobby Show This Sunday Empty Re: Military Hobby Show This Sunday

Post  Twinlinked Wed May 29, 2019 8:54 pm

Sounds interesting, $5 is pretty cheap to gonkn and check it out,

How big is it for you know?

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  RKelly Thu May 30, 2019 7:51 am

I've never been there, but I know the guy who organizes it. I thought you'd know about the show as it takes place in your armouries.

RKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Thu May 30, 2019 8:23 am

I have seen posters, I didn't know if it was any good,

Might try to stop by,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Obsidian23 Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:16 am

Well firstly to Rob. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Quick review.

Although not large by any means, the 'show' was et up in a reasonably large building with plenty of room for movement and vendors to set up their historical displays or layout their for sale items. There were some pretty interesting bits of kit from the different wars and some very interesting items for sale if you are into militaria, including German badges and patches, a set of British WW1 Regimental cap badges all 300 of them... almost. There was a varied range of 'toy soldiers' for sale from 15mm wargaming right up to 1/16 scale GI Joe type collections, this included associated vehicles in that scale. There was even a Stuart Tank which was about 80cm long from front to back, actually a pretty impressive collection. Sort of the mans Barbie collection! Never the less was pretty impressive. There were lots of hobby plastic model kits from all sorts of manufacturers in all sorts of scales. Had I taken a bit more time I would have checked out the Matchbox plastic 2 and 3 tonne kits in 1/76 scale or 20mm. These don't exist anymore. Stopped production 20+ years ago, but are one of the nicest you will ever find. I think for me the ability to pick up some cheap books and reference material was the big bonus. I picked up two copies of Wargame, Soldiers and Strategy for $2 each, not to mention the rest of his collection of about 100 magazines for $1 ea (He gave me his email address to buy the rest) I also picked up a book on Japanese fighters. He want $85 I got it for $60 and its a $300+ book on Amazon new. I found a $5 book for Rob. Dennis picked up a complete set of 14 or 15 Novels based around the 1700s, Story line to do with the Tall ships and Maritime warfare, I think, sort of like Horatio Hornblower. (I am sure he can add the details).

Overall, it was worth the $5 and the hour or so (I could have stayed longer) to look around. Rob and Dennis were coming to my place afterward. I did miss a lot because of the time and could have easily spent another hour digging into boxes and looking at things that I only glanced at. However, now I know this is done each year I will certainly go along to the next one and any others that may crop up throughout the year. So if you have an interest in militaria, warfare, books or wargaming in general then this show is well worth the money and time to visit.
Obsidian23
Obsidian23

Back to top Go down

Post  RKelly Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:23 am

Good review Scott. I'll be going next year for sure. I just won't bring any of the grandsons so that I can look even more. I was surprised he last just over an hour though.

RKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down