Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worth a read

+5
Coyote
RKelly
Matt Varnish
Joyous_Oblivion
CA$H
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Worth a read - Page 2 Empty Re: Worth a read

Post  Twinlinked Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:46 am

The I go you go feel of Beyond the gates of Antares was fun, I think I payed it twice using space Marines,

I don't know if it would scale up well but for the skirmish size games it was pretty cool,

BtGoA is just SiFi Bolt Action I think..

The game play of TY feels streamlined, and if the player turns are short I think the I Go You Go style can work well..

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:59 am

Agreed
And I have the start of an Algoryn force for Beyond the Gates, maybe I should paint that up...
But if no one plays...

Dark Age and Wrath of Kings are more fleshed out than Beyond the Gates at this point, but again, who plays them locally...
CA$H
CA$H

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:48 am

*raises hand* (only wrath of kings. Not dark age)
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:10 am

And this is why so many games sell! People prefer different thing in their rules. I for one, absolutely hate the alternating activation that Tristan loves, which is why I'll probably never pick up Bolt action or expand Dropzone Commander.

As for model quality, while Cool Mini or Not may make cool models, I'd argue they aren't even close to GW quality and infinity isn't even in the same discussion as far as I'm concerned. Sure, both those companies make nice models and I can't speak to CMON but the Infinity ones are all metal (bleh) which severely drops them down the quality ladder.

Not fanboying at all here but I don't honestly believe anyone is ever remotely close to GWs level of quality/material in modelmaking right now. That doesn't mean others don't make nice models, just nothing close to the same.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Coyote Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:48 am

If the thought of doing WWII in two scales is a big barrier, don't forget either Beyond the Gates on Antares, which is Space Bolt Action 1.5 Ed, or Konflict '47 which is Weird War II Bolt Action.

Coyote

http://tyler.provick.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 am

Glitch wrote:*raises hand* (only wrath of kings. Not dark age)
Do you have Wrath Kevin?!
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  Coyote Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:41 am

I am willing to get into a new game.

Has anyone looked at Rogue Stars? It's Frostgrave in Space as in you can use existing sci-fi models and has somewhat of an split activation similar to Infinity.

I'd also be happy to run demos of Guild Ball or Batman to anyone interested.

Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:42 am

A buddy of mine convinced me to get in on the kickstarter back in the day. I got Shael Han and Naiser. Picked up a bunch of Goritsi and was going to rebase it all to play Kings of War (but got busy). So... I got a lot of wave 1 and 1.5. Been looking at expanding just cause I like the models. Have a burning hatred for plastic-resin though, but models and game are really nice.
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:42 am

Also, Brett and I played the Skirmish mode of Star Wars Imperial Assault. Surprisingly really fun.
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:45 am

The rogue star models are really cool.. must admit..
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Coyote Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:57 am

Glitch wrote:Also, Brett and I played the Skirmish mode of Star Wars Imperial Assault. Surprisingly really fun.

Yes, please give me an excuse to buy Imperial Assault. It didn't seem like a game that would get much play with my boardgame crowd so I never got it.

Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post  Coyote Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:00 pm

I didn't realize that there were miniatures for Rogue Stars but looks like North Star makes them. They are very retro compared to Corvus Belli's Infinity which is the sci-fi I've been painting recently.

Also, Osprey is apparently making Necromunda, sorry, I mean Scrappers. I think it may actually be closer to Frostgrave in Space than Rogue Stars since Rogue Stars is more about a group of characters than a character and a bunch of minions.

Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:04 pm

The Imperial Assault core box as a stand alone is great alone. You don't need anything else. However, it does have a "skirmish" mode where you can play 1v1 or 2v2 (with one of the expansions). Brett and I tried it out one night... and I might have gone ham on it. It's pretty similar to Deadzone (and simplistic Infinity) in feel, but star wars. Very simple and easy to pick up and put down game.
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:22 pm

How do you find Wrath plays?
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Joyous_Oblivion wrote: I for one, absolutely hate the alternating activation that Tristan loves...

It makes game very random and the pulling of dice from a bag (ie: Bolt Action) quickly becomes tedious. And all it does, at the end of the day, is break up the I-GO,YOU-GO into smaller sequences.

Unlike something like Infinity -- though I agree that the game doesn't scale up very well at larger point totals.

Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:02 pm

I can run you through a small game if you'd like, Tristan. It's pretty good, with a diminishing turn limit and several mechanics that encourages aggression.
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Diragi wrote:
Joyous_Oblivion wrote: I for one, absolutely hate the alternating activation that Tristan loves...

It makes game very random and the pulling of dice from a bag (ie: Bolt Action) quickly becomes tedious. And all it does, at the end of the day, is break up the I-GO,YOU-GO into smaller sequences.

Unlike something like Infinity -- though I agree that the game doesn't scale up very well at larger point totals.

I fail to see how its random as opposed to allowing for reaction - seeing as many of the games above don't allow for "overwatch" or reactions - Even bolt action allows for ambush on top of alternating actions.. Any game at the smallest level turn phase is "i go you go" so that's a false equivalency. But I digress...

I guess that's why they make different systems for different folks...I just find the standard player turn sequences somewhat old and restrictive.

and yes Kevin! I would love to try!
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  Coyote Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Diragi wrote:

Random, yes, but I haven't found pulling tedious as long as players aren't too fussy about it. I played one game where my opponent would hold the bag while I pulled and we'd alternate. It was painful because you're trying to reach into a bag without looking at it, but aren't holding so you don't instinctively know where it is.

My next game we spent a full turn pulling without the shenanigans of one guy holding the bag while the other pulled. It went much faster.

If you think that is bad, try I Ain't Been Shot, Mom. Not only do you have the random alternating activation of Bolt Action, add in random end of turn pulls. It's possible, because it happened to me, for your opponent to get 4-5 activations to your 1, then have the turn end early on the first few turns of the game. Why not go full Face of Battle where not only do you randomly draw for activations but you don't choose what activates. It also means you need to individually identify all 40 of your infantry.

Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post  Coyote Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:36 pm

CA$H wrote:
Diragi wrote:

I fail to see how its random as opposed to allowing for reaction - seeing as many of the games above don't allow for "overwatch" or reactions - Even bolt action allows for ambush on top of alternating actions.. Any game at the smallest level turn phase is "i go you go" so that's a false equivalency. But I digress...

I guess that's why they make different systems for different folks...I just find the standard player turn sequences somewhat old and restrictive.

and yes Kevin! I would love to try!

I think it's random compared to strict alternative actions or full i-go-u-go turns. It's possible that your opponent will get 4 activations in a row. Sometimes this is bad for them, sometimes it is bad for you.

Coyote

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:33 pm

My biggest problem with GW was if you didn't play space marines you could be waiting years for your codex to be updated. Every edition you knew space marines were going to be done fast. But if you played dark eldar, or necrons ect you could be waiting years, even over multiple editions for your army book to come out. Wood elves are a perfect example, at the GT back in 2001? someone asked when the new wood elf book was coming out and the guy from had office just laughed, thats not how you treat your client base. It was never updated over 3 editions if i remember, they got an "update" list during the albion campaign i think it was but still was years after that when it actually was released.

The other big problem with GW was the sweeping changes to armies over the years, its one thing to tweak rules for an army but to actually delete models from a list, there by forcing you to either buy new models or do count as armies (ie noise marines) by the book they are not wysiwyg since they have sonic weapons and not bolters and heavy bolters ect. They did it on a regular basis, new books just deleted models they didn't like, or completely changed the armies, like tearing apart chaos in fantasy from one book to three.

It would be like battlefront just removing panthers from the game and then adding the porsche tiger with amazing stats just to boost sales.

I loved playing GW games and the community, I never liked the business practices.
lothlann
lothlann

http://dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:33 pm

Game and company has a changed a lot since you stopped playing. Just saying.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:36 pm

Does GW support the gaming community again?

They were pretty I'm interested in the gamers who played their game for a while,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:47 pm

Twinlinked wrote:Does GW support the gaming community again?

They were pretty I'm interested in the gamers who played their game for a while,

A.

Not sure what you mean by support the community, but their whole company has changed for the better in the lst 18 months - 2 years. Tonnes of painting videos on youtube, active facebook pages, a new website warhammercommunity just for cool stuff things they want to post, also use it to spoil/tease new models etc.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:42 am

Joyous_Oblivion wrote:
Twinlinked wrote:Does GW support the gaming community again?

A.

Not sure what you mean by support the community, but their whole company has changed for the better in the lst 18 months - 2 years. Tonnes of painting videos on youtube, active facebook pages, a new website warhammercommunity just for cool stuff things they want to post, also use it to spoil/tease new models etc.

that's good to hear,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Glitch wrote:A buddy of mine convinced me to get in on the kickstarter back in the day. I got Shael Han and Naiser. Picked up a bunch of Goritsi and was going to rebase it all to play Kings of War (but got busy). So... I got a lot of wave 1 and 1.5. Been looking at expanding just cause I like the models. Have a burning hatred for plastic-resin though, but models and game are really nice.
Im really tempted to buy in, as its a cheap game, the rules look amazing and the models easily give GW a run for their money - what faction are you leaning towards? they all look sweet!

And does anywhere in Ottawa stock it?
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next