Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need...audio/video advice (PS3 related)

3 posters

Go down

Need...audio/video advice (PS3 related)  Empty Need...audio/video advice (PS3 related)

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:35 am

Ok, it somewhat pains me to do this, but I'm at a point where I can't figure it out anymore, lol.

I run my PS3 on component cables and optical audio cables when hooked up to my main home theatre system. If I get the urge to play before bed, i'll bring it up and hook it up to the little 24" in the bedroom with an hdmi cable (less wires = win for me).

Thinking I'd like to run HDMI on both TVs, I hooked up the PS3 to my main home theatre with HDMI and optical audio (my receiver doesn't support HDMI).

Then bleh.

I used Skyrim (PS3 Game) as my test subject. Now I understand the game doesn't support 1080p resolution, and thus some of the benefit of the HDMI would be lost, but what really surprised me was the washout of colour when using HDMI on the larger 39" screen. Everything looked slightly 'lighter' when hooked up with the HDMI. I plugged the Component (RGB) cables in and everything was fine, nice deep blacks and vivid colours again.

Am I missing something with the settings or something? The HDMI cable and component cables are both sony branded (both came with Sony purchases I've made). And HDMI is a digital signal, so quality of cables doesn't mean crap as long as the 1's and 0's get through.

Any suggestions I could try, or info I forgot to add that would help you figure out my problem?

Thanks guys

Joyous_Oblivion

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Need...audio/video advice (PS3 related)  Empty Re: Need...audio/video advice (PS3 related)

Post  CA$H Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:03 am

No reason to run optical audio if your using HDMI - since HDMI carries the audio - UNLESS your receiver doesn't do full HDMI switching, meaning it cannot send the video one way and the audio another.

Ideally, you want HDMI from PS3 to Receiver - then HDMI from Receiver to TV. Use the receiver to play audio itself and push video to the TV.

If you run HDMI to the TV and then optical to the receiver, you are creating an issue where the audio/video are being controller separately.

Make sense? I can draw it out for you tonight so you can take home a plan........
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Need...audio/video advice (PS3 related)  Empty Re: Need...audio/video advice (PS3 related)

Post  Mike_A Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 am

I have mine set up the same way I think, HDMI to TV and Optical to Receiver, haven't had an wash out issues with that. But I think there is a PS3 setting where you tell is what kind of cables you are using so it may be that you have your PS3 set to Component Cables mode but are using an HDMI so that is causing things to be odd? Might be that you just need to adjust the tv settings or something? I am not expert on this stuff thou.

I was having allot of trouble hooking up my computer to the Reveiver due to my computer not having a optical or anything, after trying a few things I just said screw it and took the instruction book for both my computer and my Receiver to the computer store and bank and told the guy to tell me what cables to get and put where. Turns out I just need 3 Y cables that costed like nothing. Well shit.

Thanks;
MIke

Mike_A

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:49 pm

I'm really not sure what is going on...

The PS3 is configured to run HDMI video and optical audio, and I'm sure I've had it set up like this before at some point with no issue.

I played around with settings on the PS3 and TV a tonne last night and couldn't figure anything out, was hoping someone knew something I missed...

Odd how the colour looks fine on the 24" screen with HDMI, but washed out on the 39" TV.

24" tv is sony, while the 39" is Insignia (made by LG). I've watched a tonne on the Insignia and had no issues, and the PS3 looks great on RGB on the Insignia...

Maybe it could be something to do with the HDMI inputs on the TV? I'll have to switch the port its in and maybe try a couple HDMI cables to be sure...

Just annoying at this point, lol.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_A Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:24 pm

YA and these cables are just going to get more complicated and more annoying once we move to PS4 and 3D TV or whatever. I remember the good old days when you just had to screw that thing from your nintendo between the cable and the TV and you were good to go.

Thanks;
Mike

Mike_A

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down