Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KoW event at CGX Garage Sale 15 August

3 posters

Go down

KoW event at CGX Garage Sale 15 August Empty KoW event at CGX Garage Sale 15 August

Post  Twinlinked Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Hey Folks,

CGX is hosting a Kings of War event at the garage sale on 15 August,

This event is being held to test the waters with regards to KoW in Ottawa and how it plays in a tournament type environment. The event will be held in more of a round robin type of format where winners may not necessarily play winners, alignments will play against other alignments when ever possible.

If you participate in this event you will be solicitated to provide feedback regarding what worked well and what did not.

Event Details:

Where: at the CGX Garage Sale - Nepean Sportsplex - room TBA

What KoW, 3 rounds - first round starts at 10am (please be there by 930 to sign in)

Who: Spaces for 8 players

Rounds will be 1.5 hours, Round 1: 1000h, Round 2: 1130h, Round 3:1300h - Start times may be adjusted by 10 min to allow for breaks etc.

Playing surface will be 4x4 with sparse terrain

Army point limit: 750 points

Event rules:

1. Only units found in PDFs available from the Mantic website (link below) will be allowed.

Free rules and army lists available at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2. Allies will not be permitted in this event, all units must come from the same PDF and follow the composition rules laid out in the core rules.

3. Proxies and counts as will be allowed within reason, in other words WHFB Dwarves can be KoW Dwarves. Equipment: hand weapons and ranged weapons should be clear and not lead to confusion especially between units.

4. All terrain heights will be pre-defined,

5. Only rules written in the free rules released from the Mantic site will be used, in other words there is currently no written rule for penalties to hit at more then half range.

6. Unit sizes are to be correct as defined in the core rules, if movement trays are used that are slightly larger then the unit, the movement tray will be treated as part of the unit. (this provides both an advantage and disadvantage)

7. Units do not have to be fully painted, however they are required to be fully assemebled

This is a free event, there is no cost to get in to the Garage Sale, and there will be no fee to play in the even itself.

I will accept registrations by PM and it will be a first come first served basis. However if a player does not arrive to register by 0930h on the 15th they will be bumped if there is anyone on the waiting list waiting to get into the event.

If you are interested in participating please PM me with:

your name
email address
army you will be using

Prize Support:

As this is a free event, and it is not a true tournament format, there is limited or no prize support, we will endeavor to declare a winner for bragging rights at least.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me,

Thanks very much for your interest,

Andrew

Last edited by Twinlinked on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : update to add loc)

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

KoW event at CGX Garage Sale 15 August Empty Re: KoW event at CGX Garage Sale 15 August

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:20 pm

While this is a great idea I really don't hope you use this to test the waters for Kings of War going forward. Only reason I say this, is because it's an event that people were given 1.5 weeks notice...no time to build armies, paint anything or get games in to learn rules.

By all means it would be good to show off the game in a Demi-tourney setting but I hope they don't base future events' viability on this as it is just way to short notice. Id happily book this off if I could but if need a couple weeks at least.

Joyous_Oblivion

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

KoW event at CGX Garage Sale 15 August Empty Re: KoW event at CGX Garage Sale 15 August

Post  CA$H Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:46 pm

I am hesitant simply because it is a small, simple ruleset (until release) and the army lists are half there. It doesn't seem like a good way to represent what the game may actually be like.....why not wait till October Con, at least that's 2 months after the full rules comes out??
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:15 pm

There are a bunch of reasons why we would like to run this on the 15th of August, but with no painting requirements and the ability to proxy WHFB models there should be no issue with getting 8 people who are interested in trying it out.

This will help us get a good idea on game durations and the viability of scenarios, it will also showcase the rule set,

however i do have an email, from mantic saying that the rules coming out in august will not have any more rules it will just be full army lists,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Hey Guys, i will be posting this on the GS forum this evening,

if you are interested fire me a PM so i can hold a slot for you,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:22 am

I'm hoping you don't plan to later restrict it to Mantic only models. You make the definition of saying this event allows proxies using WHFB models. I don't plan on replacing hundreds of good models just because it's needed in a tourney.

Id be very down for gaming at a KoW at Game Summit or whatever it's called now provided they don't start enforcing stuff like that.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:25 am

the only way I see anything like that happening is if Mantic wants it in order to have it be an official event

they aren't requiring that right now

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:27 am

Twinlinked wrote:the only way I see anything like that happening is if Mantic wants it in order to have it be an official event

they aren't requiring that right now

A.

Ah ok, didn't know if that was something Game Summit was requiring or what not. I'm guessing mantic will be all for proxy armies to get their game going maybe down the road they may try restricting it.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:31 am

that's my thinking too

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:41 am

Hey Guys,

So can i count on some DD folks to come out for this event next Saturday?

Requirements are pretty loose, its more about getting people out to play the game and do a little testing for October,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:26 pm

to close the loop on this one

well the event came and went,

one player ended up making it out, we had two games and answered lots of questions about the new games system,

So long as we can get the interest, CGX is targeting a 20ish person KoW event for the first weekend of October

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down