Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hardware upgrade question for you computer guys

4 posters

Go down

Hardware upgrade question for you computer guys Empty Hardware upgrade question for you computer guys

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm

So the prices for new gfx cards are still stupid.. as I was looking at something beefy. I want to improve my machine and want to know if I make a smaller upgrade to gfx card or get an SSD to put on DVD and Total War Warhammer. I have 16gb of ram and a gtx750 right now
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Hardware upgrade question for you computer guys Empty Re: Hardware upgrade question for you computer guys

Post  CA$H Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:23 pm

SSD for your operating system partition/drive is the way to go - just a 128SSD will be great - then use a 7200 spin Hard disk for your games and applications. You will notice this the most.

As for gfx, I would never go top end - you over pay for newly released tech. Especially now that "high end" cards are north of 1k$ (stupid if you ask me). If you want to stay Nvidia - then I would recommend the GeForce GTX 1060 3GB - its "mid range" but top of the mid range - best "bang for the buck".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That's local price here in Ottawa at $449.00

CA$H
CA$H

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Hardware upgrade question for you computer guys Empty Re: Hardware upgrade question for you computer guys

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Cool ok I've got a small SSD for my is already.. so I'll go for that card. Should be easy to install myself.. I do what. Download the drivers ahead of time ?
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:10 pm

I have a geforce 1050 ti sitting in my old computer only used for a few months if you want it cheap, has 2 GB GDDR5.

This is what i got at boxing day, was $1200 at the time. Reg $1700.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It says 16 GB DDR3 but its actually DDR4
lothlann
lothlann

http://dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:27 pm

For 529 the one 2 blocks from here has a 1060 6gb... is the extra gpu memory needed?
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:15 pm

it'll help, i play warhammer total war 2 on medium graphics which my computer. i have the 3gb card
lothlann
lothlann

http://dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Alright so Ill go for the 6gb 1060, now is there anythign I need to know hardware wise? or is it just plug in the new one and install drivers?
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:55 pm

Hey D, can I piggyback on here? You guys know what will help me most right now? I don’t play much graphically demanding games but WoW takes forever to load zones and even in game it can stutter a bit. Would more ram help this? I currently have 8gb of ddr3 ram.

Joyous_Oblivion

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Welp, thanks to Tristan's council, I have a new GPU.. to put it mildly, it kicks ass..

I had run a test flight over Las Vegas in DCS World with around 40% graphics settings, and was chogging at 20FPS right over the strip (highest detail)

With the new card, with MAXIMUM settings on everything, I was getting around 150FPS, and it dipped under 90FPS just once, at Mach 1.2 right over the strip, between the MGM Grand and the Bellagio Smile

VIVA LAS VEGAS!
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down