Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about building a German force.

+2
Diragi
Tick
6 posters

Go down

Thinking about building a German force. Empty Thinking about building a German force.

Post  Tick Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Looking for some feedback from you guys. I want to build a late war German force as my 2nd army. Here is the basics of what I want:

I want to have a defensive force. (I am always on the attack thanks to my Russian tank lists)
I want it to be around the market garden era (1944 ish?)
I would like to use the winter outfits if possible, as well as the grey camouflaged vehicles.
I would like a nice mixture of vehicles and infantry.
I would like to try and build a list that most of you guys are not currently using, to try and spice it up Smile

So I need an idea what lists/book I should use. I imagine Grey Wolf will be the answer, but just in case there are decent lists found elsewhere, then please let me know.

Tick

Back to top Go down

Thinking about building a German force. Empty Re: Thinking about building a German force.

Post  Diragi Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Forarket Garden you'll want Earth and Steel.

Also the grey tanks were only in EW -- might want to go with a winter scheme.
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Thinking about building a German force. Empty Re: Thinking about building a German force.

Post  CA$H Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Earth and Steel for sure, there are several Grenadier defensive lists (fortifications, etc) that are in there. Easier to paint as the infantry are mostly stock German grey for uniforms.
CA$H
CA$H

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tick Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:33 am

Nice ok..
Looking them over on Easy Army.

What about the Luftwaffe Jägerkompanie, did they wear Grey uniforms? Battle front seems to have them dressed in woodland camo.

If so I toyed with this list.

Concept list

Luftwaffe Jägerkompanie HQ
3 Luftwaffe Jäger Platoons
Luftwaffe Machine-gun Platoon
4 x Panzer IV H
3 x 7.5cm PaK40 gun with Tractors
6 x 15cm NW41
2 x 8.8cm FlaK36 gun (8 crew)
1 x HMG Nest
2 x Minefield
2 x Barbed Wire Entanglements

Tick

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Tick wrote:What about the Luftwaffe Jägerkompanie, did they wear Grey uniforms? Battle front seems to have them dressed in woodland camo.

Even the picture in their own article disagrees:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Tick wrote:Nice ok..
Looking them over on Easy Army.

What about the Luftwaffe Jägerkompanie, did they wear Grey uniforms? Battle front seems to have them dressed in woodland camo.

If so I toyed with this list...

Not sure what you mean. You say they are in grey and then say battlefront has them in woodland camo. The battlefront definitely shows them in the woodland camo, not sure about the grey though. The tanks by late war are all the ugly yellow camo with brown and green. I'd love to run them panzer grey but they just weren't around anymore.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Dunklegelb is basically mustard yellow (primary yellow with green amd brown mixed in.)
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Tick Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Basically what I was asking is: Can I paint this list using grey uniforms? The Battle front website seems to have two pictures posted, the black and white one seems to be the grey uniform, whereas the painted models are painted in the woodland scheme(SPLINTER is the technical term me thinks). I also had a feeling that the grey painted tanks have all adopted the Dunklegelb camo by this time period. No matter how many google attempts I seem to get a mixture of both types of uniforms.

I am also now looking at a few other potential lists. The Luftwaffe Jägerkompanie list seems too close to what some of you guys already play. Has anybody played a full on fortifications list? Or how about a German Train List? Are they fun to play with/against? I would prefer not to make a list where people groan the moment they find out whats in my case.

Tick

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Tick wrote:Basically what I was asking is: Can I paint this list using grey uniforms? The Battle front website seems to have two pictures posted, the black and white one seems to be the grey uniform, whereas the painted models are painted in the woodland scheme(SPLINTER is the technical term me thinks). I also had a feeling that the grey painted tanks have all adopted the Dunklegelb camo by this time period. No matter how many google attempts I seem to get a mixture of both types of uniforms.

It's not clear but even in the article that I linked the soldier himself was in a solid colour uniform... not cammo.

btw: The basic grenadier uniform is not grey per-say (VAL 830 German Fieldgrey WWII) it's more of a grey-green.

As far as I know:

German armour [Heer] was EW: Grey (or Grey with Brown cammo), MW: dunkelgelb with green (or brown?) marbling, LW the tri-colour dunkelgelb with green and brown splotches.
German armour [SS] is different; LW it looks like they had the pea dot as well. It's all a bit of a mess as units pretty much painted their own cammo in the field.

I am also now looking at a few other potential lists. The Luftwaffe Jägerkompanie list seems too close to what some of you guys already play. Has anybody played a full on fortifications list? Or how about a German Train List? Are they fun to play with/against? I would prefer not to make a list where people groan the moment they find out whats in my case.

No one as played w/ a fort list so no idea about playability -- should be ok with everyone getting bunker buster guns these days. Ditto trains but from what I hear they are not well regarded as they are a bit of a glass cannon...
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Gross Deutscheland had grey vehicles with dunkelgelb splotches, so only LW grey vehicles I can think of. If you want winter germans, jsut wait for the battle of the bulge stuff. Its all in those winte jumpsuits.. so the models wil be proper also.

My LW Carius Tigers (so that I have SOMETHING on teh eastern front) are going to have snow camo also..
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Moved to Army List thread.
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerkommandeur Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:13 pm

And as much as historical is nice to have, Dont let anyone tell you what your armies should look like!

Hell, you could make a what if army like the BEF that fought the soviets mid war in a BF bat rep last year.
Perhaps a German KG that round up all they could from the factories and broke out into the country side to hide!

Panzerkommandeur

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:50 am

Or Nazi Zombies...
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Tick Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:19 pm

The more I think about it, the more I want to do a German Train list. The Grenadierkompanie company from Grey Wolf seems like the list I will use. So far what I have come up with is:

Grenadierkompanie HQ with Panzerknacker

Grenadier Platoon
1 x Cmd Panzerfaust SMG team
6 x Rifle/MG team

Grenadier Platoon
1 x Cmd Panzerfaust SMG team
6 x Rifle/MG team

Grenadier Machine-gun Platoon
1 x Cmd Panzerknacker SMG team
4 x MG42 HMG

Tank-hunter Platoon
3 x Hetzer

BP44 Armoured Train
1 x Locomotive
1 x Artillery Car
1 x Infantry Car
1 x Anti-aircraft Car with 3.7cm FlaK43 gun
2 x Tank-hunter Car
1 x Cmd MG team
6 x MG team

Rocket Launcher Battery

1 x Cmd SMG team
1 x Kfz 15 field car
2 x Observer Rifle team
2 x Kubelwagen
4 x 21cm NW42
4 x Sd Kfz 11

Air Support
Sporadic Air Support Hs 129B3

Tick

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:38 am

We won;t let you play this unless you get an Engineer's hat Smile
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Tick Tue May 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Fine you get to wear this when playing your french then! Razz
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tick

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Thu May 17, 2012 9:09 am

Looks like you've moved on from the Luftwaffe ground forces but here's some good uniform artwork if you change your mind:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Tick Sat May 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Still thinking Panzer Grens so that helps! I ordered some Battlefront terrain to help get my table into a better playing condition. I picked up some rivers, a box of rural houses, the new church, and fields and fence box. Still mulling over a German list, but I am pretty sure it will be the train. Right now I want to finish up my Russian infantry to give me more list making flexibility.

Tick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down