Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worth a read

+5
Coyote
RKelly
Matt Varnish
Joyous_Oblivion
CA$H
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Worth a read Empty Worth a read

Post  CA$H Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:26 am

Best article on the site in a loooong time:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have the exact same feelings- and he explains my take on TY and my initial reluctance. Also highlights why I haven't played FoW in so long...
CA$H
CA$H

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Worth a read Empty Re: Worth a read

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Yeah. That was an awesome article. Every single one of use should give it a read. I'm actually pretty excited about v4 now after reading that and seeing they have addressed a lot of what made FoW a stale game.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Yep. But in a month the new rules hit... see what iys like.
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Im happy (despite my whining about US) playing TY right now. I see V4 as being virtually the same, well MW anyways. I still think its untenable to have 2 versions of FoW depending on the era, but we'll see how it pans out. Ill be sticking to TY, WMH and I maybe picking up some Bolt Action for my 28mm fix soon too.

Last edited by CA$H on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Matt Varnish wrote:Yep.  But in a month the new rules hit... see what iys like.

That was the point of the article...

As for other games, I'll be sticking to 40k like always, 8th edition is just around the corner and the fluff and models are just too good to drop it. Warmahordes is firmly in the stale category for me, and I don't want to do 28mm ww2 as I get my fixes from 40k and Age of Sigmar (a game I believe we have up on way too early).

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  RKelly Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:02 pm

I still have all my 40K stuff and wouldn't mind playing again, but I hope I don't have to pay $100 for the new rulebook like it was last time. I never did get the book. Any thoughts Marty on what is coming for 40K? I'd like to build some more Canadian army models.

RKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  Coyote Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Did someone say Bolt Action? I've been enjoying games of that lately.

Coyote

http://tyler.provick.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:32 pm

typical 40k tournament list, Fb 10th, 2017 las vegas championship:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I haven't read the whole thing but from what i've read they are making the country special rules boring, like everyone now gets storm trooper, shoot and scoot ect so now everyone has what made germany germany. You can throw out all your staff teams and unit command that seems to all be removed. we'll have to see what the rest of the rules bring but basically it seems that they are making it super simple. Every edition moves away from a war simulation to 40k style, i'm sure by 5th or 6th we will be adding random terrain effects when you enter them for the first time.
lothlann
lothlann

http://dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Coyote wrote:Did someone say Bolt Action? I've been enjoying games of that lately.
I did - Im thinking of getting into it, but there doesnt seem to be much interest in the group here..

Marty - what do you find "stale" about WMH?
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Interesting... I had been playing with the idea of doing a desert army for the longest time (Australians at Tobrok), so might just use the Desert Rats rules until the rules actually come out. We'll see what it looks like. Plus, I just got a load of Honey's off of Dennis...
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  lothlann Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:46 pm

I'll be playing russians as soon as the book comes out in 3 years, seems they are going with the GW style of release times.
lothlann
lothlann

http://dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:54 pm

I certainly don't find WMH stale, if anything the game is too danamic for me with all the new models, themes, and eratas,

I only don't play cause I don't have alot of time and prefer TY, will see about V4 of FoW

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Ok we will set aside the people who have no idea what they are talking about with regards to 40k first.

40k is basically doing new armies or revising them monthly or every 2 months. Armies and stuff haven't changed much and it's only the big tourneys in the US where you might see cheesy stuff but that is no different than Flames of War, Warmahordes or XWing.

Rulebook Is still $100 because it comes in that stupid 3 pack of hardcover Rules/Fluff/Modelling. That said every boxed set has a mini rulebook included now and you can find those on eBay for $15-20.

The fluff is really cool now. They are actually advancing the story again. Cadia has fallen, Prinarchs are returning, etc.

I've never stopped playing 40k and have 3 people from work now I got into it as well to play with.

As for Warmahordes, the game just doesn't feel exciting. Playing on tiny boards, little to no maneuverability in games (see killbox, making a tiny board even tinier) and the use of absolutely stupid 2D terrain completely ruins its for me.

As for releases, GW has the fastest release schedule of pretty much anyone on the market.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:01 pm

And these are just my feelings guys, I'm not going to bash anyone for playing anything they want. It's a hobby, what's the fun in putting down other games if others like them?

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:02 pm

I agree that the 40k fluff is very deep, cool to hear the timeline is advancing

I also agree about the 2D terrain in WMH taking away from the game,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Twinlinked wrote:I agree that the 40k fluff is very deep, cool to hear the timeline is advancing

I also agree about the 2D terrain in WMH taking away from the game,

A.

I know the terrain is better for a TO, but it looks like ass, and makes the tables look really dumb IMO. For me, I still can't get away from how amazing a Flames of War/Team Yankee table looks when you're playing a game. I like the Warmahordes fluff, its growing with the game too. I just like more....sweeping games on the tabletop. 40k and Flames Allows that, and Team Yankee, despite having super long ranges on guns, is still fairly mobile.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Yeah, while ive sold off all my GW, the models are still cool-as-hell
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Matt Varnish wrote:Yeah, while ive sold off all my GW, the models are still cool-as-hell

I agree, the price point is too steep for me but the models are great!

Matt and I talked about this briefly on the last podcast.. I cant speak to the rules for 40k haven't played it since 5thed really,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:28 pm

I think that's the best part, most people who nay-say it haven't played it in multiple editions or played 1-2 games only. We all dismissed Team Yankee a year ago pretty much but now it's a hit lol.

Price point can suck though I know that but it's comparable to making Flames armies I think, with the start collecting and armoured boxed sets they are doing now at great price points.

Joyous_Oblivion

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:09 pm

For me, it was that I loved Games Workshop games, but hated Games Workshop. Also, got to the point that I just didn't feel like the price point was really worth it anymore. Though... I keep looking at that Iyanden army...

Also, just swung by FDB. Panzergrenadiers Zug for Team Yankee are on back order (out of stock at Battlefront). Dennis, I think your box of BMP's and Shilka's are there. 

And they got a 4th edition rulebook (store copy). Pretty much looks like Team Yankee with a WWII filter. Though I did find it interesting that they only have a single consolidated skill, motivation, and "to hit" score (not divided up like in Team Yankee). Instead, special rules seemed to modify certain checks under certain circumstances (eg. German national rule "Third Reich" decreased their morale target number to stay on the table by one; whereas British "Fight another Day" increased their morale target number by one.). It seemed like many of the special rules were fluff explanations to why things increased or decreased (eg. scouts typically have a lower morale). It looks good, and it seems as though they took a few notes from Team Yankee, but I didn't really have a good solid read through. It's way way way less than 3rd. So a lot of the rules went out the window...
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:43 am

Yep I did pick up my Shilkas, they are already built, basecoated, and I will try and finish them tonite along with my Battalion commander BMP-1P: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:46 am

Joyous_Oblivion wrote:I think that's the best part, most people who nay-say it haven't played it in multiple editions or played 1-2 games only. We all dismissed Team Yankee a year ago pretty much but now it's a hit lol. .

Don't mind the nay-sayers, I get plenty of naysayers about my Napoleonics!!
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:05 am

Matt Varnish wrote:Yep I did pick up my Shilkas, they are already built, basecoated, and I will try and finish them tonite along with my Battalion commander BMP-1P: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hey Den,

Does that make for 4 shilkas now? If so, that should be plenty of AA..

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:10 am

Well no i need 12 more to equal your gay-pards
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  CA$H Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:26 am

I find that the more games I play, the more the rule set matters. And I know I haven't played a GW game in many editions, that's a given. But I do watch battle reports (way too much) for all kinds of systems, and what I see as how GW's two main offerings play, simply doesn't interest me. It's not the models, its the rules I don't like. Perhaps seeing how the games actually play out is more accurate - I don't like seeing how the games play out. I agree some of their kits/models are stunning. However, they are losing that "pinnacle" position when it comes to model quality. Just look at what Cool Mini or Not is putting out for Wrath of Kings and Dark Age now... easily at par if not above GW standards - and at less cost. I haven't even mentioned Infinity..

All this being said, I find the I go you go method of games acceptable, but not "preferred" personally anymore. I really like the alternating activation of say Dropship Commander/Bolt Action.. so I am looking for more games that use that style. TY, admittedly a surprise hit for me, is more about setting and simplicity, so for me personally its a stellar FNF game because I can play it fast and loose - and its rewarding for that. I don't see it as a solid tournament choice for a game,,,but again, I like running events more than playing in them anyways.

If more of our group, or people in Ottawa played the more interesting rule set based games (Dropship, Bolt Action, Malifaux) I would probably leave the "I go with everything and you watch until I have to site and watch you do everything" games in the dust.....
CA$H
CA$H

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next