Dice Devils GC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMERICA........... <TEAM YANKEE>

+8
Farmer Pat
Twinlinked
Glitch
Panzerkommanduer
RKelly
Diragi
CA$H
Matt Varnish
12 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

AMERICA........... <TEAM YANKEE> - Page 5 Empty Re: AMERICA........... <TEAM YANKEE>

Post  Twinlinked Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:42 pm

I'll swing by an enquire as well,

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

AMERICA........... <TEAM YANKEE> - Page 5 Empty Re: AMERICA........... <TEAM YANKEE>

Post  Matt Varnish Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:49 pm

I'm the other guy.  Before I asked him he had no idea what team yankee even was.
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:59 pm

Eh, I'll prolly just order mine from somewhere. Fandom is a nightmare to get to and have to drop a few buck for parking just to go in.

Joyous_Oblivion

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Joyous_Oblivion wrote:Eh, I'll prolly just order mine from somewhere. Fandom is a nightmare to get to and have to drop a few buck for parking just to go in.

i like to support the local guy, that being said, it is easy for me because i just walk a few extra blocks before getting on the bus.

Randy gets enoguh walk in from down town forlk that there is no need for people to drive in from out of town

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:01 pm

Yeah marty I can pick up for you since I work a block away
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike_A Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:18 pm

Someone mentioned FDB doing pre-order discounts, maybe worth checking with them also?

Thanks;
Mike

Mike_A

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:40 pm

Going to drop by FDB tomorrow. I'll ask.
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  RKelly Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:11 am

I found 5 Matchbox Bradleys that I've been savingfor just such an occasion.  They are 1:98 scale.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

RKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  Joyous_Oblivion Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:37 am

Matt Varnish wrote:Yeah marty I can pick up for you since I work a block away

That would be great D.

I don't mind supporting the local guy but downtown is just evil. Basically paying a $5+ premium on anything I want to buy just to cover parking.

Joyous_Oblivion

http://www.dicedevils.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:10 am

To be honest I rather support fdb but as I live closevto them too.. ill pick up orders for you guys
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:34 pm

Picked up the latest Wargames Illustrated today. Has a quick intro battle report of Team Yankee (very light on rules) and a breakdown of the new army boxes.

The American one actually comes in at 50pts on the dot (40pts for 5 M1 Abrams, 3pts for 2 M163 VADS, and 7pts for 2 Cobras). So two boxes will get you playing a full game.

The Russian one actually only comes in at 47pts-50pts a box (37pts for two platoons of four T-72's and one command T-72 or 42pts for a single platoon of 9 T-72's, 3pts for 2 recon BMP-2's, and 5 pts for 2 Hind's). Again, two boxes will almost get you playing a full game (add a blister or something).
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Varnish Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:21 am

Desert Rat wrote:Picked up the latest Wargames Illustrated today. Has a quick intro battle report of Team Yankee (very light on rules) and a breakdown of the new army boxes.

The American one actually comes in at 50pts on the dot (40pts for 5 M1 Abrams, 3pts for 2 M163 VADS, and 7pts for 2 Cobras). So two boxes will get you playing a full game.

The Russian one actually only comes in at 47pts-50pts a box (37pts for two platoons of four T-72's and one command T-72 or 42pts for a single platoon of 9 T-72's, 3pts for 2 recon BMP-2's, and 5 pts for 2 Hind's). Again, two boxes will almost get you playing a full game (add a blister or something).
Welp.  Ill be getting a soviet box.. though its weird that yiu can use more than one aircraft at once.   So with my zvezda hind d and a box I will have three hinds.
Matt Varnish
Matt Varnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:00 am

Matt Varnish wrote:though its weird that yiu can use more than one aircraft at once.

It could be like Vietnam -- perhaps only 1 fixed wing "platoon" per force but "unlimited" helicopters?
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:03 am

would be cool if you have the option to leave helicopters on the table to shoot stuff instead of having them maybe fly on every turn..

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:41 am

I think in a breakthrough assault podcast, they mentioned that aircraft work different now. They're more like units that come on and leave every turn, and you have to make motivation checks to see if they are able to come back in subsequent turns. Or something like that.

I think they mentioned that helicopters act like regular units, but are able to fly over terrain/units, and have unlimited movement speed. I think they may be able to leave the field like aircraft as well.
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:50 am

that's really cool,

helicopters should be good at killing tanks but useless when it comes to holding terrain, an helicopters should be scared of fast air..

here's hoping the rules all work well together.. the thing is that in a modern war, tanks are pretyy well useless if you dont have air superiority case there is no tank out there that cant get popped by air assets..

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:56 am

Seeing helicopters and their ability to destroy tanks alleviated a lot of my early on worry about Abrams outclassing T-72's. So the game looks like it'll be a move holistic game where you need a balanced force to be viable. Which makes for a good game. Counter and counter play.
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:19 am

I agree,

Air Supports works well in FoW because in WW2 there was a lot of times when there was no air support but the fight went on,

Modern technology is changing all that , planes can take off and land in fog and they can operate in conditions that are pretty rough, (IE fly above the clouds and drop a guided bomb on a designated target)

A moderns game needs to include a strong air power element that can dramatically influence the outcome of a battle.

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Diragi Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:54 am

Twinlinked wrote:I agree,

Air Supports works well in FoW because in WW2 there was a lot of times when there was no air support but the fight went on,

Modern technology is changing all that , planes can take off and land in fog and they can operate in conditions that are pretty rough, (IE fly above the clouds and drop a guided bomb on a designated target)

A moderns game needs to include a strong air power element that can dramatically influence the outcome of a battle.

A.

Hopefully it doesn't play out like rock-paper-nuclear bomb -- air assets shouldn't just be balanced by points cost / fragility but their power on the battlefield. ie: not be game over if one side gains early superiority.

Also we haven't seen a whole lot of infantry -- they need to be in the game so that AA assets have a role shooting up soft targets.
Diragi
Diragi

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:00 am

Infantry looks as durable as in regular flames of war. Soviet infantry can even take anti-air assets (but quite pricey).

As for AA, it seems as though standard AA should be able to be a real danger to Aircraft, so it may be a standard thing to take.
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Twinlinked Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:05 am

The thing is though, that in reality if one side gains air superiority on a modern "conventional" battle field it is pretty well game over for the other guy,

All this being said, if the mission special rules are done well, then balance can be achieved this way.

I am interested to see how battlefront has managed this, hopefully like you say air power isn't OP. I just hope that air is very powerful because it should be, and that there are other things to balance it out.

A.

Twinlinked

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:13 am

In reality, definitely, air superiority is the key to winning a conflict.

But reality doesn't quite make good games. So hopefully it is another asset to counter-play. Like we were saying on Friday, air power should be highly punishing if you don't account for it, but you should be able to account for it, or in moderns, at least "manage" it (opposed to straight out countering it), as air power is far more important and powerful at this point.

As you mentioned, the scenarios may be the determining factor if this game works or not, cause the one thing that air power can't do, is hold ground.
Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomRescue Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:45 pm

Oh.....sorry.

Held the only book of this currently printed this past weekend.
Dave from BF got it into Fall-In on the Friday.
What I would expect, is don't expect it 'on time'
It's a nice hardcover and is well laid out and even has my interest peaked.
Sorry you can only read about it on the internets, guess you should have gone to Fall-In

Get used to seeing this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
PhantomRescue
PhantomRescue

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitch Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:52 am

Some updates on Battlefront:

Model Kit Previews:

Rulebook Preview:

Glitch
Glitch

Back to top Go down

Post  RKelly Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:39 pm

Getting excited. I guess I'll need some US air defence, because Canada only had Blowpipe in 5/4 ton trucks.  M109s are also on my list.

RKelly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next